Questions for airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alexwei, Oct 10, 2013.

1. alexwei macrumors regular

Hey guys, thanks for reading this.

I have a few questions for the new airport extreme I bought yesterday.
    I've never used it before so I'm a little confused.....

First of all, I have a Time Warner Cable internet in the apartment, I'm not from the U.S. so I really don't understand why does the cable company gave me a modem and another motorola router to connect with the modem, and there is a wire connected between the router and the modem.

When I was setting my new airport extreme up last night, I was trying to connect the ethernet wire directly to the modem with the airport extreme but it doesn't seem to work for some reason, then I had it connected with the motorola router and it works.

Here are my questions.

1. Does the wifi connection still work if my mac's lid closed? (I set it up with my mac)

2. Is there any other way to disable the wifi that is coming from the motorola router without stopping the airport extreme's connection drop? (Since I previously said that the ethernet plug behind the modem doesn't seem to work.)

3. Airport extreme doesn't automatically provide 2 different frequencies unless I enable it, right? (Just want to make sure)

Thanks again for reading this guys, if there's something that isn't clear expressed above, please let me know..

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have seen Time Warner provide a modem/router combo device in one unit, but I have not seen them provide a separate router like you describe.

If you have Time Warner's cable modem you should be able to use it with your Airport Extreme and not use their router at all.

Connect the ethernet cable from the TW modem to the WAN port on your Extreme then reboot the cable modem to it recognizes the extreme (I think this is what you missed).

Yes, the wifi on the Extreme will continue to work without your Mac on. It is just used for setup then could even be tossed in the trash and your wifi will keep working.

The Extreme does work with dual band by default. What you might be seeing there is creating separate frequency networks, and that is not on by default.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Did you want to say, that by default both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks share the same name (aka SSID)? You can manually enable the feature to assign a different name (SSID) to the 5GHz network, if you will.
    [​IMG]

4. 1934hotrod macrumors regular

1934hotrod

What Utility ver is that screen shot? I have ver 5.6.1 and do not find that panel, just curious.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Newest version 6.3.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020