Questions for all the launch day veterans out there

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacDevil7334, Sep 13, 2014.

1. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

So I was going to preorder a 6 yesterday and found out Apple only ships to the billing address on my family's AT&T account, which is across the country from me (I'm still on their plan to save a bit of money even though I moved out many years ago). I later found out that the shipping address can be changed after the order is placed by calling Apple support. Unfortunately, by the time I found that out, the ship times had slipped to 7-10 days.

I have owned every model of the iPhone since the 3G, but the 6 is the first one I have wanted to get on launch day. Since preordering is now a no-go for that, I am considering lining up early next Friday at my local Apple store to get one. I've always wanted to do the store on launch day at least once just for the experience so I don't mind waiting around in line for a while. Since this will be my first time going on launch day, I was hoping someone who has done it before might answer a few questions.

What time should I show up to get in line? I'm only getting a regular 6, so I don't expect the demand to be quite as crazy as for the 6+. I have no interest in sleeping out the night before or any craziness like that, but don't mind showing up around 5-6 AM they day of (I'm assuming the store will open early at 8 AM like in previous years). I live in Austin so there are two stores in the area also. I've also heard some people prefer going to their local carrier store instead. Would that be a safer bet? I kind of want to go to the Apple store for the experience but not if it's going to mean I have to get there at 2 AM or something like that.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

From my experience from last year and the year before , by 5-6 am there is already 200 people in line ... Then again I'm in California

3. MacDevil7334 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

4. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I live in Jacksonville, FL. Did it once at AT&T (3G), got there around 6, I was the 3rd person in line.

Went to our only Apple store for both versions of 4, IIRC I got there between 4-5, and was both times about #50-60 in line.

5. aykna macrumors newbie

I'm in Boston and I went to the flagship store here. The largest supply...I think. I lined up for the 4 and 5 but this year I ordered online.

I had to be there by 3-4am. I ended up near the front though and I heard that they didn't run out either time. I guess the time you line up depends on whether you are in a highly populated area or not. Also on whether the product is a major upgrade.

I try to look at the launch treads on here to see if there is one for my store and people generally say what the lines look like. Most people with cars usually go early and wait in them. I don't know what it is like if it's in a mall though.