Questions for Apple Watch owners

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tomthumb17, Apr 26, 2015.

1. tomthumb17 macrumors newbie

Folks, I've got a few questions which I'd really appreciate your help with.

I'm in the UK and I've got a space grey sport on order but I'm going backwards and forwards on whether to cancel my order or not. I watched a review from The Verge and he said that it's pretty slow and you'll spend more time looking at loading screens than anything else, is that true?

I'm a big Apple fan and I really don't want to be disappointed with it & im now thinking that maybe I should wait till the 2nd gen one, however is the watch going to be like the iPhone and updated yearly, or will it be less frequent? Any educated guesses?

A technical question...can your phone be paired to more than one Bluetooth device at a time? I was under the impression that it couldn't, in which case, what happens when I get in my car and my phone wants to connect to my car, does it drop the phones connection?

Are your experiences so far positive or is anyone regretting buy one? Is it actually slow to do anything or is it great and really useable?

Thanks in advance.

2. wdfly macrumors regular

I have 11 devices paired with my iPhone.

3. tomthumb17 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

as the user above said, your phone can be paired with multiple devices. I think it depends on how you are using your watch. If you want to use apps, sure there is some loading time (1-7 seconds depending on if it is a 3rd party app or a stock app).

I mostly use mine for email, text, and notifications. There is zero lag and loading screens using those. I would delete all of the apps if I could.

5. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

1. Initial (first run) apps are slow to load but after that performance is acceptable.

2. Try it. You have 14 days to return it if your not happy with the watch and can then wait for 2nd gen.

3. The iPhone can be paired to more than one device. Had a few long drives this weekend with the phone paired to the car and the watch (notifications and navigation instructions coming through) all whilst my sons iPhone was using my phones personal hotspot.

4. Very positive so far. However, refer to response 2 and make your own mind up don't rely on others.

6. tomthumb17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Swiss. Good shout on trying it out for 14 days, I've got nothing to lose! I'd definitely make up my own mind, just interested to hear people's experiences, if 80% of people replied saying they were unhappy then it would give me some food for thought.

7. JWalker1995 macrumors regular

Apple app No,
    3rd party Apps maybe
    Overall experience great

I have a car that does music and call on 2 separate connections, I have to disconnect the calls section if I want Watch notifications

Love it

Very usable, things like the Instagram take a second to load, but that understands having to get the photos to your iPhone, then Bluetooth them to the watch. Literally a 2 second wait though

8. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

IMO the speed of apps / internet dependent glances all depends on your internet connection. Do you have a good connection?

Are you a watch wearer? Don't forget it's a watch with notifications and a few extras. You won't be curled up playing with it like an iPad or iPhone (after a couple of days).

Do you exercise? Into fitness? Want to get into fitness? If yes - great.

Are you reliant on notifications / calls and sometimes find yourself in a position (or in a job) where you're unable to whip your phone out, or are disconnected by distance from your phone? (But still on wifi).

Do you rely on maps navigation when driving or out and about walking?

If you answered yes to any of these and have the cash to spend - get it. It's a solid gen 1 product with an OS 1.0 release that will only get better. No regrets with my SS Milanese.

9. mathewbhavnani macrumors member

I don't usually feel very comfortable wearing the watch when I go to the gym....I do bring my iPhone so I'm wondering if the activity app will function just the same? And sync up with the watch when it is in range? Or do I have to wear the watch for the activity app to work?

Also when using weather as a complication on watch face, I heard it keeps location services on at all times on the phone therefore draining battery, as opposed to when it isn't a complication and location services aren't on at all times.....is this true?

----------

I don't usually feel very comfortable wearing the watch when I go to the gym....I do bring my iPhone so I'm wondering if the activity app will function just the same? And sync up with the watch when it is in range? Or do I have to wear the watch for the activity app to work?

Also when using weather as a complication on watch face, I heard it keeps location services on at all times on the phone therefore draining battery, as opposed to when it isn't a complication and location services aren't on at all times.....is this true?

If power reserve is on, does it still track activity and stuff? What does power reserve mean?

10. tomthumb17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks fullauto. Some great points there and I've answered yes to a fair few of those questions so that certainly helps making my decision.

11. whatos macrumors 6502a

I've purposely been using mine heavily since I received it. Mostly because I wanted to experience the watch first hand but questioned if it would offer something of value to me.

An amateur athlete that's very fit and works out daily as part of my normal lifestyle, I already have state of the art fitness and race performance tracking gear. With its iPhone App and dedicated athletes web site that records our performance, that's taken care of.

Therefore in my case that's redundant and features I don't need from my Apple Watch. Notifications are a feature, yet I have a very comprehensive and easy to follow plan that I prefer to use my iPhone 6 Plus for. Being very open minded I do want to give the Apple Watch a fair chance so I'm using it all waking hours except my work out and training times each day.

I don't have any complaints even though it has some very annoying bugs, but that's to be expected from Apple with a first gen product. So I'll keep trying different apps, continue to learn it's rather unintuitive UI and see how it goes. I have carefully read the manual, watched all the videos too. I enjoy learning new things and have a lot of patience.

The complications for a non technical person, makes me wonder how many will be put off at the fact that there are things to learn. Many people in the USA today are impatient and don't like reading.

I think the most interesting aspect of the Apple Watch will be to see if it gains public acceptance once the newness wears off. I wouldn't be surprised if the watch became a niche product for a relatively small number of people. Time will tell.

12. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

Yes, you can have multiple bluetooth devices paired at the same time. I have my phone simultaneously paired with my watch and to each of 8 bluetooth tracker tags that help me find my stuff.