Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ill Mitch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
So, I plan on getting a brand new iPhone from the U.S. and unlocking it here using this. (Anything better to use to unlock?)

I'll be using my current rogers plan and just swap the simcard into the iPhone etc...

My question is, do all of the features work on an unlocked iPhone using this unlocking method? (iPod, youtube, Safari, google maps, text messages, normal phone use, etc...)

What will not work unlocking the iPhone this way? I know I shouldn't use EDGE unless I want to rack up some hefty fees, anything else?

will it function how an iPhone is intended to function minus the use of EDGE?

Thanks in advance.

-Mitch

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
So, I plan on getting a brand new iPhone from the U.S. and unlocking it here using this.

I'll be using my current rogers plan and just swap the simcard into the iPhone etc...

My question is, do all of the features work on an unlocked iPhone using this unlocking method? (iPod, youtube, Safari, google maps, text messages, normal phone use, etc...)

What will not work unlocking the iPhone this way? I know I shouldn't use EDGE unless I want to rack up some hefty fees, anything else?

will it function how an iPhone is intended to function minus the use of EDGE?

Thanks in advance.

-Mitch

Hey, Im using my unlocked iPhone on Rogers Wireless.

Ironically, the only thing that wont work when you unlock your iPhone is the EDGE network. You have to input Roger's EDGE settings in order for you to connect to their EDGE network, the iPhone's default settings do not have Rogers EDGE settings in the phone (obviously). I didnt put in the EDGE info because I dont want outrageous bills.

Everything else works, iPod, safari, mail, youtube, google maps (which is incredible), international clocks, texting, calendar, photos, camera, stocks, weather, calculator, notes, and of course... calling.

MattOnDemand

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Thanks, this was actually really helpful for me too. Heading down to Buffalo this weekend with our dollar being par now to get my own iPhone.

Thanks Sdao.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.