Questions for developers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brandonzar, Jun 18, 2008.

1. brandonzar macrumors regular

1. I have heard that the SDK doesn't allow access to a file system, does this mean that people wouldn't be able to make apps like a PDF viewer which would read PDFs put on the iPhone through iTunes instead of through e-mail?

2. I have an iPod Touch currently and I will be getting the iPhone 3G, does the DRM Apple is using permit users to use the programs on multiple devices like it does with songs bought on iTunes.

Thanks

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It's my opinion that my current v1 iPhone can view PDF as long as I download it on my Mac Pro or MBP first. Then I can open the email and download the PDF and view it on my iPhone. PM me if you have questions. I think that's what you're asking, but I could be wrong. I just emailed myself a PDF and followed the steps I just outlined. :cool:

3. brandonzar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input, but I already know how to get PDFs on the iPhone. I am more interested in marking up a PDF once it is on the device. As a graduate student I read a lot of papers and I would like to be able to put notes on them and highlight important areas just like I do on my MBP. For these kind of features I think a native PDF viewer would be the only solution and it would be nice if there was a simpler way to store the files on the iPhone.

4. robhedin macrumors regular

Not quite true-- you *do* have access to the file system, it's just sandboxed and you only have access to an area set aside for your application. But, to answer this specifically, it is unlikely you would not be able to create a PDF view and access files already stored on the phone. However, while iTunes does not allow for syncing of data except through Apple applications, you can write an application for the PC (or Mac) and use Bonjour to move files between the device and a PC; a web service could also achieve the same effect.

The implication is that the purchase is tied to your itunes account, so it *should* work similarly to the way music is handled. I put this question directly to Apple last week and got the response "there are things we still have to work out".

rob.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear what you're saying. I've worked with a couple developers, since I'm a graduate student as well, and we can look forward to being able to download from the Academic Search Premier, JSTOR, Factiva, LexisNexis Academic and SmartStart, some of the research engines that I use on a daily basis, and place our documents on the iPhone, and read them via the iPhone, still uncertain on the ability to mark, highlight or storing the document separate from the email. The PDF standing alone w/o the email is still being worked on, so I hope to see that soon as well. :cool:

6. EngBrian macrumors regular

I wonder if they are going to have mobileme idisk access with the iphone. That would sort out the storage and access problem...but for larger pdfs might be a pain if they are always being "streamed" from idisk.

Have they announced idisk access through iphone? I didn't see that in the demos.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I haven't hear anything, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I like that iDisk access idea.

8. brandonzar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response, I hope someone does figure out an easy way to work with pdf files, I'd really rather not spent time doing some work around. Knowing that Apple still has things it needs to work out doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me, but I guess they have a couple weeks to work it out.

That is some really good news, I have been hoping that someone was working on research engine clients. I also hope that someone is working on some chemistry specific iPhone applications, I could see the iPhone becoming a great research tool if things go well.