Questions for IOS5 gurus regarding data usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Ruben, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Hi All,

I am about to give my iPhone 4 to someone who doesnt have a data plan on their contract. Obviously the iPhone 4 (on IOS5 in particular) uses data in many different ways and I dont want huge data costs so will be switching off 'Cellular Data' in Settings so the phone will only use data via WiFi exclusively.

So here are my questions:

1) With the phone set to WiFi only will the new owner of the phone still be able to make normal use of iCloud, iMessage etc when connected via WiFi?

2) When making changes to contacts, setting reminders etc the iPhone discreetly updates these changes to iCloud in the background. With cellular data switched off will the phone remember these changes and sync them to iCloud when the phone connects to WiFi?

3) Will having cellular data switched off affect push notifications in any way, for example receiving a notification from the eBay app?

Basically Im just trying to consider all the effects of having cellular data turned off and relying on WiFi instead. Its not something ive ever really thought about before as I have a data plan on my contract.

Cheers :)

2. IcyStorm macrumors regular

I believe it shouldn't affect anything. Any kind of notifications and data transfers will wait until WiFi is connected.

Although, what carrier allows for an iPhone without a data plan in the U.S.?

3. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Im not in the U.S. ;)

4. IcyStorm macrumors regular

Figured so :p

Anyway, it should work like an iPod touch or iPad in terms of how it manages Internet connectivity.

5. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Cool, hopefully it will be nice and simple, while we are on the subject, why do companies such as AT&T check if you are on a data plan? As far as Im aware no providers in the UK do that. Besides surely they cant enforce a data plan on a device that is capable of transferring data though other means besides cellular. Sounds like a con to me.

6. IcyStorm macrumors regular

They want to make money. Most smartphones sold are purchased subsidized (at least in the U.S.). The carriers want to make their money back (and more), so they force a data plan to gouge $15-50 out of us every month.