Questions for iPad 1 Owners Who Got iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MJedi, Mar 13, 2011.

1. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Hello,

I have the iPad 1, but still thinking about getting the iPad 2. I've read the reviews that say iPad 1 owners should think if they want the camera, faster processor and graphics. But now that it's out and in the hands of people, I want to know the opinions of those who have an iPad 1 and got the iPad 2. Do you like it? Is it really better? What do you like about it? Just trying to get a sense. Thanks!

2. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

My thoughts:

1) cameras aren't great but FaceTime on a larger screened device is cool
    2) whole device feels snappier. Games fly on the iPad 2 that used to be very slow and laggy one the original
    3) I love the new design/thinner profile. I find it easier to hold and use

Overall I'm very happy with my decision to upgrade

3. kev7554 macrumors newbie

In my opinion it's worth the upgrade. Safari seems to be much snapier and over all I think the whole thing is faster feeling. I would not recommend upgrading for the cameras because they are horrible. Having said that I sold my first gen for 350 so it's worth 150 for the upgrade for me.

4. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

My thoughts

1. Definitely lighter and faster as the ads imply
    2. The smart cover is amazing I like it better than apple case, but I'll end up getting an otter box defender when they are available as I have little ones
    3. I'm in the military so I am away from home a lot so having FaceTime on iPad is great

5. orlandocano macrumors regular

Very happy

I upgraded to the iPad 2 and only regretted it right as I handed my credit card to the cashier at best buy and on my drive home... felt a little guilty for spending money on a replacement for a tablet that worked just fine... but as soon as I unboxed it and started playing with it, all guilt and remorse went out the window..

things to consider:

1) do you love having the latest and greatest.. even if there are cheaper alternatives out there??
    2) do you use graphic intensive apps on your current ipad??
    3) can you afford it right now?? it probably wouldnt be worth it for me if i was getting into debt/taking $$ from savings in order to upgrade
    4) do you have lots of friends and family that have macs or facetime capable mac devices??

If the answer to most of the questions above is yes.. then by all means, do it... you wont regret it... and dont underestimate ergonomics and comfort either.. because using the iPad2 is MUCH more comfortable on the hands than using the iPad1....

6. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I sold my old iPad 1 on eBay for $350, so I upgraded for $150.
    I love the new design, it feels so much better in your hands. Go to the apple store and use one, if you really like it, sell your old one and buy the new one, but if you don't think it's worth upgrading, keep your old one. :)

7. Joesgirl97 macrumors member

Joesgirl97

I was unsure prior to getting it but took the leap anyway. And wow!! I'm glad I did.

I use the iPad mainly for email, apps and surfing the internet, keeping up with blogs and forums.

After a year of use my 16G 1st gen iPad I have it about 95% full. :blink:
    I had no idea how much I'd love that AppStore.

I know the 2nd iPad is just hair lighter than the first but WOW! You really can tell the difference when holding it. The weight and the faster processor alone make it worth it for me. I'm always going from app to app and then have several pages open in Safari and it's most certainly noticeable. I don't regret taking the leap.

8. bmat macrumors 6502

I got it for the increase in speed. And the weight difference, which minor as a spec, actually is discernible when you hold them both. And the iPad 2 is just more comfortable to hold. I didnt care about the camera.

Overall, I like the upgrade. The speed difference isn't as big as I hoped, since my original had 4.3. But there is a difference side by side. (I had been hoping it would be nearly as fast as my MacBook air for web browsing, but it is not.). And it still made it worthwhile.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Cameras are just aout useless.

The speed of the device corrects my complaints from first gen.

I don't play many games that are gfx intensive, but infinity blade looks great.

The smart cover is fabulous, people complaining about it flapping....take it off, it takes .00078 seconds to attach and remove. It took me a few times rolling to stand to get used to it, now I love it.

10. RonShort macrumors member

I agree plus 2 more:

4) Safari loads much much faster
    5) Youtube is actually usable on it!

11. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Did I *need* to buy a new iPad 2? No. Did I *want* to buy a new iPad 2? Yes! Do I regret it? Not at all! It is indeed faster and more comfortable in the hands and that Smart Case is really cool. I'm still missing the convenience of the original Apple iPad Case, though, and hope that either Apple or someone else will come out with something similar for the iPad 2. In the meantime, though, I am thoroughly enjoying the iPad 2 and am very happy that I waited in line 5 1/2 hours for her on Friday!

The cameras? I didn't even bother trying out the cameras until just a few moments ago -- they were definitely not the reason I was interested in this new updated iPad. For Facetime and such, they'll be fine but that's about it. For photography I've got real cameras, anyway.....

12. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Thanks everyone for your replies. Gives me a lot more to consider. It's probably a good thing there is no stock of them anywhere. I was caught up in all the excitement of the launch so over time, it will diminish. Since it seems it will take weeks to re-stock, I'll have time to re-evaluate my usage of the iPad 1. It also gives case makers time to release their cases since there is currently no way to protect the back.

Thanks again.