Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misfiringsystem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I can't find an answer to these so I thought I asked here.

1. Do I need to be on the latest firmware from Apple to jailbreak the iPhone? ie, I need to upgrade my iPhone to 4.1 before I use the jailbreak software that is currently available from hackers.

2. What's the difference between limera1n, sn0wbreeze, and tinyumbrella? Don't they all perform the same function, jailbreak the iPhone?

Thanks

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
I can't find an answer to these so I thought I asked here.

1. Do I need to be on the latest firmware from Apple to jailbreak the iPhone? ie, I need to upgrade my iPhone to 4.1 before I use the jailbreak software that is currently available from hackers.

2. What's the difference between limera1n, sn0wbreeze, and tinyumbrella? Don't they all perform the same function, jailbreak the iPhone?

Thanks

You're not looking hard enough. The answers are everywhere.

1) No but you do need the right jailbreak software for the firmware version you're on.
2)limera1n - jailbreak (newest firmware), sn0wbreeze - jailbreak (older firmware versions), tinyumbrella - saves SHSH (plus some other stuff).

Try these links as well as the sticky at the top of this forum.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=snowbreeze&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=limera1n&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=tiny+umbrella&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

misfiringsystem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
That's exactly what I'm looking for.

So right now I'm on 4.0.2. Does that mean I can't use limera1n that was recently released for 4.1?

Or put it this way, I need to find the version of limera1n that specifically jailbreaks 4.0.2?

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
That's exactly what I'm looking for.

So right now I'm on 4.0.2. Does that mean I can't use limera1n that was recently released for 4.1?

Or put it this way, I need to find the version of limera1n that specifically jailbreaks 4.0.2?

limera1n, 6 months in the making
iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G
4.0, 4.01, 4.0.2, 4.1 and beyond+++
limera1n is unpatchable
untethered thanks to jailbreakme star comex
brought to you by geohot
hacktivates
donations keep support and new features alive
zero pictures of my face

Wasn't that hard to find the answer.

misfiringsystem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010

I've actually jailbroke my iPhone already. What happened was this, I was on 4.0.2 and I applied the limera1n hack. The phone won't boot, hard reset, nothing worked, and I had no choice but to restore the phone, which updated the firmware.

Your answer just tells me that I just screwed up my jailbreak, that's all. I just needed to hear that the jailbreak actually worked on 4.0.2.

But, I have one last question, is it possible to restore the iPhone without updating? I know for sure you can't do that through iTunes. But I have no prior SHSH blobs or what not for the phone, so there was no way for me to restore the phone without updating it. Why did I wanted to update it? It was a used iPhone and I want to return all settings to factory.

Thanks a lot.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010

I've actually jailbroke my iPhone already. What happened was this, I was on 4.0.2 and I applied the limera1n hack. The phone won't boot, hard reset, nothing worked, and I had no choice but to restore the phone, which updated the firmware.

Your answer just tells me that I just screwed up my jailbreak, that's all. I just needed to hear that the jailbreak actually worked on 4.0.2.

But, I have one last question, is it possible to restore the iPhone without updating? I know for sure you can't do that through iTunes. But I have no prior SHSH blobs or what not for the phone, so there was no way for me to restore the phone without updating it. Why did I wanted to update it? It was a used iPhone and I want to return all settings to factory.

Thanks a lot.

Short answer, No. Without blobs on file you can't restore to any firmware but the one apple is currently signing.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
I may be reading it wrong, but from here, it sounds like that tinyumbrella would only work on iPhone 4 (saving SHSH blobs), that's why I'm wondering is there any way for me to save SHSH blobs for the 3GS so I can restore in the future without updating my firmware.

http://www.redmondpie.com/update-iphone-4-on-ios-4.1-without-upgrading-1.59.00-baseband-to-2.10.4/

TU saves SHSH files (for restoring firmware) with 3G and newer devices. It only preserve the baseband (for unlocking) with IP4. They are not same thing.

misfiringsystem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
^Ahhh!

Thanks for all the replies

edit: I'm not quite sure how TU works, but I'll read up on it, but can I download SHSH files from the web or get them from somebody else to restore my iPhone?

/Thread

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
^Ahhh!

Thanks for all the replies

edit: I'm not quite sure how TU works, but I'll read up on it, but can I download SHSH files from the web or get them from somebody else to restore my iPhone?

/Thread

NO. SHSH files are unique to each device & specific firmware version. Thus, can't use others or for different firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.