Questions for rMBP owners

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shacklebolt, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Maybe it makes sense to consolidate all "should I buy?" -esque topics into one thread, given the sheer volume of individual threads asking similar questions. Regardless, that's not what I'm trying to do -- just have a few questions of my own.

- Any heat issues that you've noticed? (retina display was a source of some concern)
    - The "asymmetric" fans: are they actually less noisy?
    - Any pleasant or unpleasant surprises that Apple/reviews haven't really mentioned?

Thanks!

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Heat issues - I only noticed heat while in Bootcamp playing a graphically intense game. It was quite warm but based on comments, that seems to be common with MBPs (this is my first)

Fan - same, fans kicked into high while in Bootcamp playing a graphically intense game. They seemed to be slightly lower playing a graphically intense game in OSX.

Surprises? Not really. Other than when I am playing games, the load screen that gives hints/tips isn't on the screen long enough for me to read them :) With my old computer, I used to get up and get a drink when I was loading.

3. trsblader, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

trsblader macrumors 6502

Here's my experience thus far with my rMBP:

Heat.) I never really notice the heat unless i'm running parallels as well or playing a game. While using multiple tabs in Chrome, powerpoint, word, and Netbeans I notice no heat increase. iStat has the fans and temps very close to normal use.

The fans.) I've yet to hear them once. Even running parallels and a game, I've never heard them (I don't run any heavy duty games, just basic ones). Again with my use (from the heat part) on a daily basis, it hasn't been a problem.

Other things.) DON'T LISTEN TO THE REVIEWS! Seriously, they are good reviews, however from the ones I've read it seems like people are trying to intentionally find issues with the rMBP. Like any product on the planet, if you look for problems, you'll eventually find them. I also think people are finding ridiculous things to complain about, such as screen brightness. I don't know a single person that uses the screen brightness at 100% all the time. I sit with a glare from my Windows on my iMac screen and it's still barely above 30% in the day. If at 100% you still can't see the screen, it seems less of a screen issue and more of a poor vision/poor environment issue. To me it seems like an iPhone 4s vs iPhone 4 (rMBP being the 4s) and how when it launched everyone said how it'd never sell because nothing is different and siri is useless blah blah blah and now everyone has one and loves it. I haven't had any issues with burn in either probably because I don't use the brightness at 100% and I actually use a screen saver (I thought that was common sense, but in another thread someone admitted they don't use one).

EDIT: Forgot to mention battery life. Screen brightness does seem to play a major factory, as well as constantly using the 1gb video card instead of HD 4000 graphics. I have mine set to only switch if necessary and if I'm not on windows as well, I can regularly see 7+ hours of usage. I've charged mine 8 times since the day it came out.

I'd highly suggest going into an Apple Store and playing around with one and compare it either to a current laptop you have (if you have one) or even to their other display computers. Play with the computer, open apps, etc. and see if you like it.

I have the 2.3/8/256 (very base model) rMBP and it is much faster than my mid 2011 iMac (That was released less than a year ago) and I couldn't be happier.

Sorry for the mini rant, I just realized how long it was lol.

4. heloise macrumors member

1. I haven't noticed any significant amount of heat except while restoring from a time machine back up and playing 6 hours of diablo 3.

2. I haven't noticed the fan noise but that could just be because I am used to the jet engine taking off that was my 2010 MBA whenever I tried to do anything.

3. I've been having a bug where I can't turn off autocorrect. If I uncheck it in system preferences and then go back it is rechecked. Super annoying. Everything else has been pretty and nice. I can't wait for more optimized apps.

5. doh123 macrumors 65816

The heat is great... much improved over previous models, and no need to worry about it at all.

The fans are not less noisy, but they are less annoyingly noisy. its hard to explain, but the sound they make is slightly different than most fans, and while its not quieter really, its MUCH less annoying.

6. Greazy macrumors newbie

Hot Spots

I'm about to purchase my first mac, the rMBP, and am curious about hot/warm spots from prolonged use.

My only experience with a MBP outside of the Apple store was one that my friend owned (his was i believe ~2011 model) and he had me wipe his system out with a fresh Snow Leopard install. I had it plugged into an outlet at the time (if that makes a difference) and I was put off by how warm it got in the hand rest area.

So I'm just curious if anyone can point out warm spots on the rMBP during normal/gaming use and how comfortable it is just having it on your lap during light browing.

7. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

The bottom towards the hinge is the only place you will feel warmth. There should not be heating near the top front of a MacBook Pro. You will not find discomfort there. When doing something processor intensive, your lap will absolutely warm. But the machine will all stay within spec.

8. Greazy macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response! That's pretty much what I was hoping for