Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

signal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
I recently installed a Sonnet Tempo Pro Plus. Installed a Samsung EVO 850 on it, and did a restore to it so now my Mac Pro is booting from it. Seems to work fine.

I notice I have lost the Option boot ability. When I hold down option it does not go into a selection of choices for booting, is this normal? Any way to fix?

I also notice that the drive shows as external which is understandable, but more concerning is that it shows ejectable, is there any way to make it not show ejectable?

In Boot Camp (windows 10, running on a separate normal 7200rpm disk), I cannot see the Sonnet Tempo SSD, so I can't navigate my OS X from within Windows. Does anyone know what could be the issue there?

mtasquared

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
I have this card. I also show the disk as removable. Never gave me a problem. In win 10 in bootcamp I can see the osx partition. Not sure what could be wrong with your system. Did you install the bootcamp drivers in win 10?

signal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Sonnet says that with Firmware 5,1 you can't Option-boot a PCIe card, so I guess that behavior is as expected.

As far as windows not seeing my card. I did confirm I have the drivers installed (they were automatically installed as part of bootcamp). In Disk Management I see the OS X partition, but its not assigned a drive letter, and I see no way to assign it a drive letter. Right clicking on the partition has assigning drive letter ghosted out. The partition is not encrypted (file vault) and its not a core services partition. So I am still trying to track down what my issue is. I assume if I could assign a drive letter, windows would allow me to navigate it in File Explorer, but I am not sure how to get a drive letter assigned....

signal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Another thing I found out today, you can't go into Safe Mode (hold down shift on boot). Luckily with Safe Mode you can get there by setting nvram boot flags..........it would seem Apple could fix these annoyances by pushing out an update, especially since it works fine on 4,1 Mac Pro's. I assume this is the same case for any PCIe boot volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.