Questions for Unjailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by msw123307, May 16, 2010.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I've read some conflicting opinions, I just want to make sure I don't get locked out of JB/Apple updates, etc.

I was thinking of jailbreaking my 3G just to try it out until the new phone comes out. My question is, how can I restore the 3G as new to sell it once I get my new phone?

Can I just plug it into iTunes and restore it as a new phone? Or do I have to restore it in a specific mode? Will I have issues if I sync it normally until then while it is jailbroken?

When I get my new phone should I just set it up as a new device? I've seen some people mention that the iTunes backups will contain traces of jailbreaking..

One last question - if I do 'wipe' my phone to sell it, will the calendars, contacts, etc. with mobile me stay in tact? I know if you delete one contact, everything sync's, I just wanted to make sure the program is smart enough to not delete everything.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

To unjailbreak just restore the phone and setup as new.

For your new phone set it up as a new phone and sync everything over.

Don’t “wipe” your phone to sell it or it be unusable for the buyer.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

After it is jailbroken with something like Pwnage you simply do a restore via iTunes and it will be fine.
    Sometimes iTunes tricks you and you have to do things like restart your Mac and put the iPhone in DFU mode, and click the restore buttom holding the option key and then select the iPhone software version you want to use (you have to have it already dowloaded in your computer.

Check here for good instructions on how to do the jaibrake and exploit some of the key benefits of jailbraking:

www.hackthatphone.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMFYs3gfgis

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

To erase your personal info form the phone for when you are going to give it away.
    In your iPhone Settings do a reset.

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings

5. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by don't wipe your phone or it will be unusable? If I restore it shouldn't it work just fine?

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I think it means that if you wipe it while it is jailbroken it will become unusable for the other person. Like a remote wipe with MobileMe.
    Do a restore with iTunes and you should be fine.

7. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok - maybe I'm just unsure what wipe means. I was thinking it is the same thing as restore. If I restore with iTunes or use your method (erase all content and settings) that should remove the JB correct?

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The restore to an apple released firmware will remove the jailbrake.

After that if you do the erase all content and settings will remove any user data you put in the iPhone.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I should have said it would probably be unusable. What has happened countless times is that someone does an erase all after a jailbreak and cannot get the phone to restore. So, you might be giving the buyer a phone they can’t restore. Just restore and set it up as new.