Questions from a Bluetooth newbie :)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nermal, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got my first Bluetooth phone today (a Vodafone 715) and I'm just learning about Bluetooth. I've paired the phone (I had to copy an authorisation code from the computer to the phone) and I've discovered Bluetooth File Exchange.

Whenever I try to browse my phone using BFE, the phone says that an untrusted connection is being made, and asks whether I want to let it continue. Was pairing supposed to stop this from happening?

In addition, I remember seeing a (Macworld?) demo years ago where OS X would pop up a screen whenever a call was received, showing who it was from etc. I believe you could also call directly from Address Book, although I might be dreaming this part up :)

So… any tips or suggestions :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm really no expert, but it looks like ti treats the connections separately. After you've allowed it once, does it continue asking for permission?

I think this depends on the phone you have. In the Bluetooth pane of System Preferences, you can select your Vodafone 715 and then click Configure. This should give you a list of things your phone can do for your Mac. For me it's simply sync and provide internet access, but I have a Motorola L6.

3. NicP macrumors 6502

This is in tiger but not in leopard

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, it asks every single time.

I don't have Configure. I'm on Leopard if that makes any difference:

Attached Files:

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I shoulda guessed. You've always been a sucker for the glitzy operating systems! :D

What does the Advanced button do?

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Nothing interesting.

Attached Files:

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No. Bluetooth is easy to hack. My phone (SE w600i) asks me every time I want to connect using BFE. It's a security feature.

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, you're wrong :)

On the phone, I went to Settings > Connectivity > Bluetooth > Devices > (my MBP) > Options > Set as trusted. It now doesn't pop up that annoying prompt each time.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry mate. No experience with Leopard so I can't help you anymore. :eek:

10. urbanninja macrumors newbie

Cheers for the tip on stopping it from bothering you about each connection :)

You can choose to configure the phone in Bluetooth preferences by clicking on the little cog button beneath the list of devices to the right of the + and -. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything in addition to what it does when you pair it to your computer initially, unless you have enabled a new service on your phone since then.

You can check the list of services already enabled on the phone by clicking "Show More Info" in the same menu as above. But I don't know where you would go from there apart from Google.

You could also try searching for info on a Huawei U120 because all Vodafone have done os take this handset and re-brand it.

What success have you had with syncing it with your computer? I have been searching for and iSync plug-in but I think I will have to resort to jigging something up myself. Have you found a logical way of transferring contacts and calendar info to and from the phone?

Hope this helps,
    urbanninja

Attached Files: