Questions from a new Mac User:

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DarkVictory, Jul 12, 2009.

1. DarkVictory macrumors member

I've been using my new Macbook for a while now, and I love it. Here's a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer:

Is it possible to rename the 2 stacks on my Doc? If so, how?

Is there a faster way to set an image to the wallpaper? Right now I have to go into System Preferences, locate the file, and do it that way.

Is there some type of device/program I can buy that can transfer something on my DVR on to my Macbook? (I have a Dish DVR)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You cannot rename the stacks, because you'll screw up other things.

You can, however, drag any folder you want there.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Ctrl Clicking on an image should bring a menu up and show show an option for making it the desktop image.

ChrisN

4. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Yes, but it is a round about way of doing it. You have to re-record the program by playing it out of your DVR and recording it onto your computer. I think only Tivo has a function that you can actually transfer the files. You can use myTV PVR or something like that to perform the transfer. Warning in advance - It takes forever and is only worth it for very select shows.

5. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

If you don't want the 2 default stacks there you can remove them and/or create a new stack along side them. I usually put iWork in a stack.

I don't know of a faster way to change your background. I'm guessing you want to right click and select 'make background image'? I haven't found that one.

For the TV recordings, clarify if you're really connecting the DVR on an external HDD.

6. DarkVictory thread starter macrumors member

Can you elaborate? I hit the control key and right nor left clicking on the file gives me that option...

7. DarkVictory thread starter macrumors member

I need to get it off my DISH DVR or Hard Drive connected to my DISH DVR. Is it only for Tivo then?

8. DarkVictory thread starter macrumors member

I don't get that as an option when I right click on the file. What the deuce?

9. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I think so...at least it was when I tried perhaps a year ago. I don't know if you have a hard drive connected to your DVR that may work. Hook it up and see if you can read it. But as far as I know you need to have Tivo. TV stations don't like people being able to copy and do stuff with their shows as such Dish and Cable don't make it easy for you to put it on your computer. I would try the external hard drive though you may have some luck with that. BTW can you just hook one up to the back of your DVR or do you have to pay for that additional service? You have be curious to the point that I want to try it.

10. DarkVictory thread starter macrumors member

With Dish you pay a one time fee of $39.99 to enable to Hard Drive feature. I got three connected to mine. You can only have one connected at a time though.

Anyone help me out of the wallpaper problem I'm having?

Also:
    Is there a way I can check who is on my network? I know on my PC I was able to do that by looking at my Norton. Anyway to do that on my macbook?

11. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I think if you actually have a picture open in safari for this to work. So if you are looking at a picture on a webpage then you can control click and save as background on your desktop. Thanks for the info on the hard drives...let me know if that transfer from your hard drive to computer works.

12. DarkVictory thread starter macrumors member

What about if it's a file on my desktop. Is there a quick way to make that the wall paper?

13. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Right click on the image and select "use image as desktop picture".
    Done.

14. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Sorry I don't think so...but you can add a folder of pictures in system preferences for your desktop wallpaper and just drag the picture you want as the desktop picture into that folder and delete the one that is in there.

15. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I don't get an option to do this when I right-click. What version OS are you using?

16. Adapsys macrumors member

Adapsys

I've been having the same problem with wallpapers (not to mention that my macbook crashes when you use the system preferences>browse function).

Can't believe Apple made it so difficult to put a picture as your wallpaper. Someone told me if you open the image in preview, then you can right-click and select set as wallpaper.... haven't tried yet though.

17. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

To make setting a desktop background a little quicker is to right-click the desktop, then choose "change desktop background." This brings you right to the desktop and screensaver system preference menu.

18. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

10.6 does have a Make this picture my wallpaper as default, 10.5 does not.

19. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I just googled alligators and found one, right clicked and there it sits "use image as desktop picture.' I can do a screen shot if necessary.

20. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Im on 10.5.7 too and i still don't get this function. I don't know..

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Is that from within the browser?

The option is not there from within Finder.

22. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

You can set a background image by right clicking a picture in Safari. You can also create an automator script so that you can set the image from the Finder but that's more complicated.