Questions...help please!!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by trina3332, Feb 5, 2010.

1. trina3332 macrumors newbie

Just got mac bookpro 15 inch.(Don't know much about the laptop other that and it was $1,839...sorry but true) If I want to play aion do I have to install boot camp whatever??? And am I really just going to get a virus??? Is the game play/video gonna suck??? And where to go to find installation for computer idiots -------- I don't really know about computers in general so any help would be nice please

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Welcome.

In order to play graphic intense games, you need to install Windows via Boot Camp to get the most out of the hardware, unless there is a Mac version of the game.

You can get viruses for Windows while running Windows and being connected to the internet. There are some free Anti Virus suite thoug, like AntiVir that you can use.

There are NO (repeat NOOOOOOO, ZERO) viruses for Mac OS X though.

The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.
    Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ - text
    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ - videos
    http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ - text
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343 - keyboard shortcuts

3. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Maybe you should have done some research before buying an $1800 computer?

Most game titles cannot be played on mac OSX, it sucks, yes, but this is, and really always has been. A fact. If you want to play games you need to install a windows OS via bootcamp, bootcamp is free and is in your utilities folder which you can find using spotlight (command + space) Then you will need to purchase a windows operating system, I would recommend XP. Then you can use bootcamp to install Windows and boot into it on your mac. Search google for guides on how to use bootcamp.

4. trina3332 thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, game isn't for me... its for my bf. and all I need the computer for is facebook and searching stuff. And do I have to buy windows or can I just install the disc for my desktop that has xp on it

5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Depends if the XP disk has an install left on it, installing the OS will most likely require an install serial number or product code that came with XP, if you bought some sort of family pack that still has an install left on it, it will work, but if not you will have to buy another copy.

Also, if you want to game on the MBP you might also need to consider a USB mouse because I cant imagine gaming with that trackpad.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Answers...sure, be right there!!!

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you have that version of XP working on another computer (in other words, if that serial number is in use), you'll need to buy a new license. Might be a good idea to do, anyway. You can get an OEM copy from Fry's for about $100 or so. The disc that came with your desktop may or may not be a true OS installation disk, it might be a system restore disk.