Questions involving CPUs & Memory in Aluminum MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by deekthesqueak, Oct 16, 2008.

1. deekthesqueak macrumors newbie

Hello All,

With the new aluminum MacBooks I have once again thought of purchasing them and this time I am getting a bit further along in the process because of how they are made. The fact they are not using the plastic anymore separates the MacBook for me. I have a couple of questions, probably blasphemy to some, but I am just curious.

I know there are two processor options for the MacBook 2.0 GHz (P7350) or 2.4 GHz (P8600). I recently purchased a 2.56GHz (P9500) for my Asus R1E tablet and was curious if anyone on these forums has ever replaced a CPU in a MacBook? Everything matches up spec wise the processors and not having to spend the extra $300 would make buying a the new MacBook much more acceptable.

The next question I am interested in is concerning RAM. The new macbooks use DDR3 1066 which is a good step I guess but the chipset supports DDR3 1333. If I were to use my saved money swapping processors to buy 4GB of DDR 1333 will the macbook recognize it and operate at that speed or clock it down?

Last question, how is the quality of Apple's thermal paste used in MacBooks? I LOVE ArcticSilver 5 and use it whenever I can. Has anyone removed stock thermal paste and put on their own with good results?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Apple solders the processors to their laptop logic boards.
    2. There's no reason to buy faster RAM when it's just going to clock down to stock speeds.
    3. While I enjoy Arctic Silver as well I enjoy my warranty a lot more.

3. deekthesqueak thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn! Very lame.
    Figured they would clock it down. Does Apple have good memory (what timings does it have) or would my upgrade to 4GB be better suited to buying my own?
    I am notorious for voiding warranty, I live dangerously or as in the case of my ASUS tablet I find ways to keep the warranty (the sticker was on the CPU mount and I lifted it off with a piece of tape and could reapply it later with noone the wiser)

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple RAM is just stock OEM RAM. The won't be any special lower timings.

I had a feeling you live dangerously. Give us a nice photo shoot when you take apart your laptop. ;)

5. deekthesqueak thread starter macrumors newbie