Questions on 2 Ipads on one account

Discussion in 'iPad' started by David T., Oct 17, 2015.

1. David T. macrumors member

Hi everyone,

Two years ago I purchased an Ipad Air. Shortly after purchasing it, my wife took control off it to the point now that if I touch it... I get a dirty look. :)

Anyhow, I'm going to pick up an Ipad Air 2 for me (and lock it up :D ).

So, what are the pros and cons of using the same Apple account on both? I would like to be able to download and install a couple (but not all) the apps we purchased for her Ipad. Does the App store recognize the different devices? What about settings? Can we have different settings on each Ipad. What about backups... will they be separate?

Thanks

2. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I use my account on my iPad Air 2, my wife's mini, and both of our iPhones

I have absolutely no issues with apps, back ups or anything else. You might need to tinker with some settings, on a per device basis, but that's about it. Basically, go for it

3. David T. thread starter macrumors member

4. newellj macrumors 601

Do you mean the same iCloud account or the same iTunes account? If you mean the same iTunes account, my wife, my two (now adult) kids and I have been sharing an iTunes account basically since the App Store and iTunes were introduced, without any problems. We all have individual iCloud accounts, though.

5. David T. thread starter macrumors member

Well, my intent was to use the same account for everything, but you've given me another option.

Thanks

6. newellj macrumors 601

As a minor note on iTunes, iTunes worked fine just using the same account long before anyone envisioned "Family Sharing" or whatever Apple calls that - the only wrinkle is that when you set up a new device you typically have to make sure you change the iTunes log-in because it will default to your iCloud account.

7. David T. thread starter macrumors member

Got it... thanks!