Questions on 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Demosthenes427, May 7, 2008.

  1. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2007
    #1
    Okay, so my friend has told me that he expects the 3G iPhone to be released sometime in early June. My cell phone just recently broke, and we're up for renewing our Family Plan contract with AT&T. I've just got a few questions pertaining to the iPhone:

    1) I live in the middle of Long Island, New York. There is a 3G network west of Suffolk County, and a 3G Network in the Hamptons. I'm right in the middle between the two of them. Furthermore, I'm heading up to SUNY Geneseo for college, where there is no 3G network. However, both Buffalo (1 hour west of Geneseo) and Rochester (1 hour north of Geneseo) have sprawling 3G networks. Is it even worth it to wait for the 3G iPhone when there will be little opportunity to even take advantage of the 3G functionality?

    2) Is the price of the old iPhone expected to drop when the 3G iPhone is released?

    3) I've been going without a phone for several weeks now, and it's a waste on my cell phone bill to be paying for a line on my Family Plan that's not being used. Ever. Therefore, should I even bother waiting for the 3G iPhone, considering the above, and just buy the new iPhone now, renew the plan, and be a happy fella?

    Anyone's two cents are certainly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Demosthenes427
     
  2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #2
    You might as well wait at this point. There is a highly publicized rumor that AT&T will subsidize the price, perhaps dropping the 8GB 3G model to $199 with a 2-year contract. The 16GB would probably be $299. 3G is backward compatible with EDGE, so if the darn phone is going to be cheaper for you (I had to sign a 2-year commitment anyway and got no subsidy), you sure as heck should wait what is probably a month or two.

    I just addressed the price for you. I haven't heard much else, but I still get the feeling that 32GB will make it into one model, whether it's new or the 8GB is discontinued.

    It's a hard call on your family plan deal, but if you're the 3rd line, you're only talking about $20 or so if you wait 2 months. I would personally do it if I hadn't bought one a few months ago. Just be patient. 3G, GPS, a better camera, and other stuff could make it onto the same device for the same price. Maybe see if you can find a cheap phone to use on eBay until the new iPhone comes out. There are probably a million people trying to get rid of a Motorola RAZR (like me!).
     

Share This Page