Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlsife

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
About to purchase my first Mac. I prefer the 13", but will consider the 15" if the 13 can't handle what I want to do. I plan to use this for:

Basic iMovie editing
Basic iPhoto/Aperture editing
Netflix viewing

I don't play games, etc.

Will the dual core processor/integrated graphics on the 13" get this done? I assume so, but someone who knows for sure please set me straight. Thanks in advance.

Secondary question: I plan to run this to a 24" external monitor via HDMI/DVI. Does that change the answer?

Last edited:

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
About to purchase my first Mac. I prefer the 13", but will consider the 15" if the 13 can't handle what I want to do. I plan to use this for:

Basic iMovie editing
Basic iPhoto/Aperture editing
Netflix viewing

I don't play games, etc.

Will the dual core processor/integrated graphics on the 13" get this done? I assume so, but someone who knows for sure please set me straight. Thanks in advance.

Secondary question: I plan to run this to a 24" external monitor via HDMI/DVI. Does that change the answer?

There just is not much that is "base" about the base 13 inch.

It should be fine for what you are describing.

50 or 60 bucks would handle doubling the memory up to 8gb ... and it is easy to do.

With a lot of video editing you might be well served by using an SSD ... but it depends on how big your files are and how much storage you need.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I do the same, got a refurb i7 and returned the new i5.

It is quicker than the i5. I also popped in 8GB of RAM and it really flies with that.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
I assume the monitor is just 1080p? The i5 13" will be fine, but with how cheap 8GB of RAM is from new egg(like $35 shipped cheap) there's really no reason not to get new RAM. And the performance difference between a HDD and SSD is night and day, I recommend the OCZ Vertex 3.

dlsife

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Yes, I should've said that I'll be upgrading to 8 gb RAM, but no SSD as I'm not technically savvy enough to upgrade that.

dlsife

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
It's really stupid simple to swap the HDD for a SSD.
I didn't know that. I assume you'd need an external HD to store the system image in order to put it back onto the SDD once installation is complete?

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Yeah, after the bottom is off it's like 6 screws and one plug. There's videos online with walk throughs, but even w/o one just looking at the insides it's pretty straight forward.

The external is up to you, I made a backup image on my NAS, but didn't use it; I did a clean install of 10.6.8 and then installed my apps.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
I didn't know that. I assume you'd need an external HD to store the system image in order to put it back onto the SDD once installation is complete?

It is not hard to re-install the operating system from apple ... it just takes a while to download it depending on how much bandwidth you have available ( my home system it took about 40 minutes on a good fast cable based system ).

If it is brand new then you don't have to worry about migrating any apps etc. You start by making a USB flash based recovery disk ( any 2 gb flash drive will work ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.