Questions on buying a new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dethklok7, Aug 28, 2008.

1. dethklok7 macrumors member

I currently have a phone with AT&T but the contract and everything is under my dad's name. That being said my goal is to get an iPhone as cheap as I can and just take the sim card out of my current phone and use it in the iPhone.

So if I went into an apple store and bought an iPhone under my name it would cost me 199 for the iphone. After a month with at&t could i cancel my contract and just pay the 175 termination fee and still have the iphone? Also if I bought a two iphone would they both cost me 199 each or would the second one not be subsidized? After I bought the iphone, can I call into at&t and cancel the data plan for that one month? That would save me a little bit of money. Also if I terminated my contract it would cost me 175 total right? not 175 for each phone. I am also aware that since I don't have much of a credit history I may have to pay a deposit. When would I get that deposit back? Would I get it back if I canceled my plan after a month?

I know I asked quite a few questions so sorry about any confusion.

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

What's your plan after you cancel the contract is the question.

3. dethklok7 thread starter macrumors member

I have an at&t phone with my dad's plan currently. I would just use my current sim card and plan with the new iphone that i would have bought.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You won't save any money. You might as well just pay $499 for an unsubsidized phone.

5. dethklok7 thread starter macrumors member

if i did that wouldn't i have to sign a new 2 year contract?

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

There are a lot of existing threads with the same question. Simplest answer to your question is, just buy it unsubsidized. Save yourself the headache.

7. dethklok7 thread starter macrumors member

There is a reason for me asking these questions. My circumstances are slightly different. Since my current contract is under my dad's name I can't make any changes to the contract and whatnot without his approval. So I would do it this way to avoid having to deal with him. Also I want to know what my options are. There is no harm in at least knowing about how else I can work around this.

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I guess you missed the part where I said, "There are a lot of existing threads with the same question."

9. dethklok7 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry but I honestly haven't been able to find those that answered my question. Thats why I posted this to get clarification. If you don't want to answer my question thats fine. Its not a big deal. You don't have to be rude about it.

I'm simply just trying to get more clear cut answers.

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Not sure how I am being rude, I simply said to research before asking the same question.

$170 termination + $36 activation + 1 month of data/phone plan + various tax/fees that goes with a typical monthly fee.

1 subsidized phone per eligible account, termination fee is per line not per account.

AT&T will add $30 data to your dad's line, and chances are you won't be able to remove the initial month of data plan prior to your 30 days, but some have been able to.

There...

11. dethklok7 thread starter macrumors member

Like I said I honestly tried to but I didn't find all the answers I was looking for and wanted more clarification. Thanks for answer my question.

12. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Don't lie to your dad or go behind his back, when he finds out he'll probably be a bit peeved that you've bought phones cancelled contracts and put his contract SIM in a phone that could end up costing him a lot of money from Data usage.

Be upfront with your dad and see if he is willing to upgrade your contract to an iPhone one if you pay for the phone + a little extra (you were willing to pay the 175 termination fee remember).