Questions on calibrating my MBP Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m7a7d, May 4, 2010.

1. m7a7d macrumors newbie

So, I followed the directions and there are a few things that were unclear to me.

I let the battery get to 100% and left it there for about 3 1/2 hours. I unplugged the power adapter, and let the battery run down, however it did fall asleep a few times, is that ok?

At about 5% battery remaining, it gave me the "low battery warning dialog" and told me to connect my power adapter. I followed the directions and continued to work. The battery ran down to 1% and after a minute or two, turned off. There was no sleep at all. Is that ok?

I left the computer turned off (with the battery in the state above) overnight. This morning, I connected the power adapter. My final question, can I turn it on and use it while it's being charged?

I know these seem like newbie questions, but I just want to make sure I get this down so I can continue to do it in the future.

Oh, and it took forever for my battery to run down to 1%! The first time I've ever wanted my battery to run out quicker! ;)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Looks fine to me. I wouldn't put too much stake in tying yourself to a strict calibration/charge/recharge cycle.

3. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

That's correct. The idea is to get the battery to the absolute max with trickle charge, then drain it to the point that some cells are just about dead. When you remove the power the cells start balancing between the cells and crystals are created (where batteries lose their life). The idea is build these crystals all at once so they don't keep building up as time goes on. Think of an old tape player running on batteries, you drain it dead, wait a few hours and it drains dead again. The key is, you don't want to drain it dead again unless you start from a new charge, from what I've understood.

After you're done with the 5 hr wait on the dead charge, you can charge and use it.

4. tangje macrumors newbie

The most important part is making sure you drain the entire battery as much as possible, which you did by leaving it overnight. You should be fine.

5. m7a7d thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate everyones input.

Just out of curiosity, why did it never give me the option to sleep? It just ran the battery down to 0% and shut off.