Questions on Crucial M4 SSD lifespan.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caspersoong, Jul 20, 2012.

1. caspersoong, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

caspersoong macrumors 6502a

I am about to upgrade my MacBook Pro Late 2011 to an SSD, finally giving in to temptation. I was wondering what the lifespan for the Crucial M4 would be, and I know it is 72 TB of writing. However, will it actually last that long? What is the probability of it failing before that? ... I hope it was not a bad buy as I have to forward it to my country from the US and that incurs great cost. And I noticed that my computer writes to hard disk (from Activity Monitor Data Written/sec in Disk Activity) at a rate of about 11 MB/s when it wakes up from sleep. Why is this so? Will it happen after I upgrade to SSD as well? Does that shorten the disk lifespan? What causes great writing to disk other than downloads and how to minimise that? I love downloading and hope that upgrading to SSD does not force me to reduce my downloads. Thanks!

P.S. Hoping for a PowerNap tweak for older models when Mountain Lion comes out ... if possible.

Edit: I forgot to ask TRIM or not from users of Crucial m4? How does it affect speed and durability? Thanks! And is this reliable data? http://silverdire.com/2012/06/11/reduce-ssd-writes-mac-os/ What does disabling hibernation do?

2. Modernape macrumors regular

These days its just not an issue you need to consider any more, unless you're writing 10s of GB per day of data, which you're not. It will last for years, at least as long as a conventional HDD.

If you're determined to minimise writing to the SSD, then disabling the hibernation image (as per your link) will stop the contents of RAM being written to disc every time you close the lid.

3. caspersoong, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

caspersoong thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. I do not do much, and in a single day just putting the Mac to sleep, and waking it up, and surfing the web, I wrote 10.19 GB of data. Without TRIM support, the write amplification would make this even more. This makes me worry about lifespan of the SSD. Does disabling hibernation have any cons? Thanks.

Edit: Sorry I meant even without doing much, I wrote 10.19 GB. Usually I use the hard disk much more. 10.19 is without any downloading of stuff or really much work done.

4. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular