Questions on iOS4.2 beta...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Illuminated, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Now I've been reading the forums, but couldn't find a specific, to the point answer.

If I were to get the iOS4.2 beta for my iPad, would I get any other beta updates? Would I be able to update to the consumer update come November? Would I be able to down grade to 3.2?

Are there any noticeable issues with Wifi? One more question...is dev.macgeekblog.com a reliable website to get the iOS4.2 beta?

Thanks for any answers!

2. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

3. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Cause November is a really long ways away...?

Isn't that what most people are doing who aren't Devs? Downloading a beta from a dev? It's not illegal is it?

4. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Don't let the moral police get to you (because they will storm in and lecture you about how it's unbelievably and irrevocably *wrong* to install iOS 4.2 beta on your iPad if you're not a dev).

Truth is, a dev can register up to 100 iPad devices in his account...so get in touch with a member with a dev account, compensate him if needed, and acquire the beta.

Anyone who tries to tell you this is illegal is just being a snoot. Sneaky, clever? Yes. Illegal? Hell no.

5. TangoDown macrumors regular

What other betas? Oh, do you mean updates to this beta? Can't see that myself.
    Yes you'll be able to upgrade.
    You can downgrade if you have blobs stored locally or with Saurik.
    No wi-fi issues here.
    Dunno about the site, sorry.

6. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Thanks for the reality check man!

But I don't know whether to believe you or not since you're a Canadiens fan...:p PS-Go Flyers!

7. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Well I know that this is iOS4.2 Beta 1...will there be a Beta 2 or 3 or 4 in the near future?

Thanks for the info...

8. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

No, it's not illegal but it may cause data loss, void warranty, REMOVE some functionality, and break some Apps you want to use.

Unless you're comfortable with how to down grade wouldn't use dev vers. of OS's.

9. WytRaven macrumors 6502

By providing a beta to an individual who has not agreed to the NDA your are violating the NDA so yes it is illegal. Accepting money for the service of performing this illegal act just makes it illegal and revolting.

10. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

REVOLTING? Exaggerate much? :rolleyes:

11. TangoDown macrumors regular

Sorry, I saw what you meant and edited. I'm guessing not, but really I couldn't be sure.

12. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Go Habs! :cool:

13. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

Wrong. That makes it a breach of contract. Or do you seriously think that Apple can send the cops to your house for it? LOL.

14. Pat123 macrumors newbie

Yes, you will be able to upgrade to all future firmware versions.
    At the moment, you will be able to downgrade to 3.2.2 without any issues since that is the latest official firmware that Apple is signing.
    But remember there is no jailbreak for 3.2.2! If you want to be able to downgrade to 3.2.1, you will need to have your SHSH blobs saved on file in Cydia or your machine.

15. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Not sure this thread is answering your questions.

If you are get officially on the developer program then presumably yes you would get all the beta updates.

If you are not officially on the developer program, then you could download the beta 1 and install it. Whether you can find (and are able to install) future betas is not known. It is assumed that you could upgrade to the final 4.2 once it is available. I have heard you can downgrade by using the "Restore" function in iTunes, but have no personal experience of this.

There are no noticable issues with Wifi which I have noticed.

16. linkycat macrumors member

Yes, a thousand times yes.

Every device I've got in every apple pre-release firmware works in this fashion. We dev-type folks just get access to the beta firmware releases to test things out. We download them (they come out about every two weeks) in multiple versions until the official GM (gold master) edition is ready for final tweaks and announced to the public.

So, if you register with a Dev, AND they don't delete you from our account, you will have no problem installing every beta update. Again, Dev types can get old iOS reinstalled on our devices, but I think you would only be able to downgrade back to 3.2.2 if you haven't already backed up your SHSH

As to the legality, I think it is heavily frowned upon.

And, finally, I am having a number of Wifi related issues in this first beta. Otherwise, multitasking works okay and folders are wonderful.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It is not about moral police, wrong or right, first talking about it is against forums rules, nothing to do there, second Beta software it is just that, beta software, stuff is suppose to go wrong with it; that way the can fix it before GM release, if you are NOT a developer and get the beta software somewhere else and "somehow" get someone to add your ID to a developers account, if something goes wrong with your device, you would have void it your warranty. Even for developer we are no suppose to install beta software on our personal idevices, they are suppose to be "development platform" so it something goes wrong, they may be able to reaplace but it doesn;t have the same priority as the normal replacement units under warranty have.

just a bit of info so you can take an inform decision