Questions on my HD config for new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Zerozal, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Hi all--long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm planning on purchasing a new Mac Pro shortly (my first Mac, woot!). I'm hoping to hold out until 10.6 is released, but I'm not sure I can wait that long, as my current PC is dog slow, and the HD is 95% full.

Anyway, my primary use of the new machine will be to run Lightroom and Photoshop, with some minor DVD authoring and video transcoding. I'm shooting for the 2.93 Quad with 6GB RAM, as I think it's an appropriate value for my use and better than the 2.26 Oct. The 2.66 and 2.93 Octs are too spendy for me.

Here is how I'm planning to configure the HDs:
    Order the stock 640GB from Apple, and order a 300 GB VelociRaptor and a 1TB Samsung F1 from Newegg. When the machine arrives, I'm planning to use CCC or SuperDuper to clone the 640GB to the VR, then install the VR in bay 1 and the 1TB in bay 2 and reboot. The VR will be my main boot/system/app drive, and the 1TB will be my data/photo/music drive. I'll install the original 640GB in bay 3 and reformat that as my Bootcamp/VMWare Windows volume.

I don't really want to fiddle with RAID 0, nor do I want to use SSDs at this time, so I'm OK with the extra expense for the VR, assuming that I will get a reasonable IO speed bump with it.

A few questions:
    Does this sound reasonable?
    Will either CCC or SuperDuper work well for cloning the original boot to the VR? Any thoughts on one vs the other?
    Once cloned, I should be able to just swap the VR into bay 1 and boot normally, right?
    For those of you familiar with scratch disks and Photoshop: PS will be installed on the VR. Should the scratch disk be on the 1TB or on the VR?

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!!

2. edesignuk, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015

edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That will all work fine.

I wouldn't bother cloning the OS X install that Apple ship to your new disk (VR). Just do a clean install right away, that way you can choose not to install all the languages and printer drivers you'll never need.

I also have a drive for boot/apps then another for data. You might want to just move your entire home folder to the Samsung, it's very easy and works well.