Questions on restoring my iPhone 4 and backups

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sonic04GT, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

So I'm having some battery issues and will likely take my phone to Verizon. I assume if they do anything, they'll swap it out so I want to go there with a fresh phone as I don't want to give them any of my personal stuff of course.

So, if I restore my phone and select "Setup as a new phone" will I still have the backup so that I can restore it to the new phone?

Will this backup include all of my game saves? Honestly, I have 3 stars on every Angry Birds level and I don't want to lose it hahaha

Is it a fairly simple process to get everything back the way it was? I'm not worried about music or movies, I have all my playlists sync'd so they'll be easy to restore. Just have to backup my contacts to Windows 7 somehow so that they can easily be put back in place with 0 modification on the phone.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So I'm having some battery issues and will likely take my phone to Verizon. I assume if they do anything, they'll swap it out so I want to go there with a fresh phone as I don't want to give them any of my personal stuff of course.
    You will have to go to the Apple Store, the carrier's don't handle warranty service, only the Apple Store and Apple Care over the phone.

So, if I restore my phone and select "Setup as a new phone" will I still have the backup so that I can restore it to the new phone?
    Its always a good idea to back-up your device, you never what might happen.

Will this backup include all of my game saves? Honestly, I have 3 stars on every Angry Birds level and I don't want to lose it hahaha
    Yes

Is it a fairly simple process to get everything back the way it was? I'm not worried about music or movies, I have all my playlists sync'd so they'll be easy to restore. Just have to backup my contacts to Windows 7 somehow so that they can easily be put back in place with 0 modification on the phone.
    Correct

3. Sonic04GT thread starter macrumors regular

I thought I read something on Apple's site about contacting Verizon. I thought it was because maybe the Apple store didn't carry the Verizon phones or something.

I backup my device every time it syncs. I'm just saying, once I restore, I'm going to have to set it up as a new phone, so I can hand it back completely erased. However, I still want my backup to exist so I have the option of installing it on the new phone. I don't want the main one to get overwritten when I restore the phone to factory.

What is the commonly used program to store contacts in windows so that they may be put back on the phone seamlessly? I don't want to have to sort out home/cell numbers or anything.

Thanks for the quick response and good info.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Regarding contacts, I think that if you don't have Microsoft Outlook installed that it will then use 'Address Book' (or something by that name, I'm not booted in windows right so I can't recall the actual name).

5. Sonic04GT thread starter macrumors regular

I did the Address Book thing on my gf's computer running Vista but I can't seem to find it on my Windows 7 PC.

I do have Outlook and Outlook Express I believe. These will work seamlessly and place all the details back where they should be including the type of number/description?

What about Camera Roll? Will my pics restore back to that folder or will I have to create a new folder, place everything in there, and just sync it like the rest of them?

Will it automatically reinstall all of my apps and place them back in the folders they were in?

Sorry for all the questions, I've never restored from a backup before. I always did a fresh start on my iPod Touch.

Thanks again bud.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Adress Book: I believe you have to navigate to Start>Programs>Address Book.
    Camera Roll: Only the photos/videos in your camera roll get backed-up.
    Apps: Yes, if you restore from your back-up, then all of the Apps will go back to their original spot (folders).

7. Sonic04GT thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, glad to hear about the camera roll and apps. I hope the battery issue doesn't lie within an app, which I doubt because I haven't added/changed much. All my other photos, music, and videos are sync'd so that will be very simple to restore.

As for address book, still don't see it. Even did a start menu search.

One more question that never really got addressed. My phone backs up every time it syncs as I'm sure you're aware. Once I restore my phone, I believe it gives the option of restoring from a backup or set up as a new phone. I will of course set it up as a new phone. Once I choose this option, will my previous main backup still exist to install on my new phone or will it be overwritten once I choose to start fresh?

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm not really sure, I just got my iPhone exchanged this week at the Apple Store and when I got home I set it up as new, my computer did keep my old back-up but I'm not sure if this what always happens. If anything, just locate your Mobile Sync folder and make a copy of your backups (right click + copy) and paste them to another folder (like on your Desktop)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I don't know the direct path on Windows, but it should be something similar.

9. Sonic04GT thread starter macrumors regular

I already found the path on Windows - it's fairly similar. I will definitely do that to play it safe. Another option may be to restore it on a different computer after I back it up on my main one. I'll figure it out.

Thanks again for the help!