Questions on Selling my PMG5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mhaddy, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Since my PMG5 died a few months back, I've been loving my new mac pro. However, there comes a day in every Mac's life when it must pass on and as such, I'm looking to part out my PMG5. The coles notes version of what's wrong with it is a dead CPU and/or logic board -- the place that was testing this stopped once it found a dead CPU. It is a stock October 2005 2GHz dual-core G5 with 5.5GB RAM, 5GB of that is Crucial.

Is it better to sell the RAM, video card, case & innards separately or would I fair better selling everything in a package "as is"? To be honest, I wouldn't even know where to start with a price range. Any help that you could provide with prices or methods of selling (as is versus part it out) would be much appreciated.

2. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I remember that. It was a sad thing for sure.

I think you should remove the removables (ram, super drive, harddrives, video card, and any extra card) and sell it all off separately. I think you would even get a return on the G5 chasis + motherboard + bad cpu. A lot of people like to buy them and gut them for mods and such. Leaving the good parts in there will confuse the buyers as to whats working and what isn't. I would start low, like $100 for the chasis.

Good luck! Glad the new Mac Pro is working out!

3. G5power macrumors 6502

I've seen a couple of people sell just the G5 case on the local Craigslist for around $100 - 125.

The RAM would certainly be something that people will buy. You'll probably need to check the curtain new price of the RAM and then discount it by something like 30%.