iPad mini Questions on small crack on iPad mini retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pjny, Aug 7, 2014.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a curved(U-shaped) 3/4 inch crack on the top right of my ipad screen. Thankfully the crack is on the bezel part so it's not bothering me.

Can the crack increase in time? Is there a way to prevent it from getting bigger.

I can feel the sharp edge when I run my finger over it.

I have applecare and was going to actually go in for a home button that works about 75% of the time. It's very irritating. Will the crack affect any warranty issue I have on home button replacement or repair?

I don't want to spend any more money as I want to invest in the next mini or air. I think it's $50 fee or $75 with applecare for screen replacement, right?

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

You could just put a screen protector over it and it should protect it from getting bigger.

Best bet is to take it to your nearest apple store and see what they can do. Since you mentioned you have a semi-working home button. I suppose you could try that excuse to see if they can give you a replacement.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You may get lucky with the home button, but if they say no, I guess you really don't have any argument other than to pay to replace it. Now I have suggested to friends who are in similar situations to put a Spigen Glas.tr Nano Slim Protector over their screen to prevent further damage.

It is one of the best screen protectors available and the price dictates it as such. Very sensitive, so you will not lose any sensitivity on the touch to the screen and will not even notice you have a protector on except for the added thickness to the glass.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Spigen Glas.t is nice but it's pricey, plus it doesn't wipe off the fingerprints or smudges easily.

I prefer the Invisible Zagg Glass since it's cheaper and does have rounded edges included rounded edge home button cut out. Plus with just one wipe, it cleans out the fingerprint and smudges.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Been using Spigen Glas.tr since they first came on market and it has rounded edges, rounded home button cut out and comes with home button stickers for a concave home button instead of convex, if you like. Wipes clean in a single wipe. I agree it is pricey, but have seen it put to the drop test and protect the screen from further damage, even when the Glas.tr shattered.

Can not say anything about Zagg Glass as I have never had the opportunity to use it.

6. Shadowbech, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014

Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I don't think it has rounded edges because I don't see one on the website. and the link you provide just leads to the glas.t (regular one) and the title just says "iPad Mini / Mini Retina Screen Protector GLAS.t Premium Tempered Glass" so it's not really rounded edges. Unless you bought those before they discontinued it. I know because I've used Spigen Glas.t on my ipad before.

By rounded Edges, I meant rounded borders.

I'm not too sure about your "Wipes clean in a single wipe" because it does not clean perfectly clean in a single wipe.

I currently am using the Zagg Glass and it is way MUCH better than Spigen Glas.t's.