Questions on the Late08MBP to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shamash, Mar 9, 2009.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I want to end up doing, I guess, MiniDisplay to DVI - DVI to HDMI? It seems to be the only way to do this.. I've searched the forums and the internet for hours now and the only other way seems to be to buy a Playstation 3 and buy some software for my Mac and do it wirelessly at lower quality.

Does this really not let the sound travel through my TV as I've read? Is there a way to get it to? I'd like to watch movies, play World of Warcraft, ETC over my TV. It seems like this can be very hard to do..

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Note that I don't have a DisplayPort capable mac, but I think you are right. DP->DVI & DVI->HDMI.

You will not get sound (DVI has no audio), so you'll have to run a second cable (mini phono jack, or mini Toslink). Be sure that your TV will allow you to use an alternate source for audio when getting video via HDMI, or if you have the whole rig connected to an amplifier, even better.

3. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

So what's a complete list of what I need to buy to do this? I'd like to keep my computer across the room from my TV, so hopefully an 8-12' cord for both.

4. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

Also, does anyone know about doing this with a PS3? Am I able to do it with a college dorm internet connection? Does it work well enough to play movies/video games/

5. NickM macrumors 6502

I have my new MacBook Pro hooked up that way to my projector. It looks great. I tried it on the TV, and that also looks nice.

You basically already know what you need...

1) mini-displayport-to-DVI adapter

2) DVI-to-HDMI cable

or

2) DVI cable (if you can/want to use straight DVI instead of convert to HDMI. (since you won't be able to send the audio anyway)

Like the other poster said, you'll also need a 1/8" to presumably stereo RCA cable for the audio.

The lengths needed are really up to you and what you need.

6. NickM macrumors 6502

I would certainly not buy a PS3 if this was the only thing I needed it for.
    Unless you want a Blu-Ray drive, forget the PS3.
    Just connect the computer to the TV through cables.

7. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

http://salestores.com/philips3.html

If this is the TV that I have, do I need the DVI to HDMI or no?

8. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

I mean, I wouldn't mind having a PS3 for games/Blu-Ray, but I would only get it if it would also do this and do it fairly well.

9. NickM macrumors 6502

That TV does not have a DVI input, but it does have a HDMI input. So, yes, you would need to get a DVI-to-HDMI cable... the length that you need to go from the computer to the TV.

The audio will go from the headphone jack on the computer, to an input on the television, or on any audio receiver/stereo you may be using.

10. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

Do you know if there's any stores besides Apple that have the cords?