Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I'm not sure how much I need I just don't want to run out abd be sol.

----------

What drive do you plan on getting just curious?

Haven't given it a thought haha. It's a month until I get the MBP anyway, and I may not even need one so if I do it'll just be whatever's good value ;p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What's a good external?
I've been very pleased with both of these models in various capacities, from Other World Computing (OWC):

OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro..........................OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro™
main_otg_pic2.jpg
mealp_onscreen0409.jpg

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I love newegg! Haha so why not a 512gb ssd or should I use the data doubler and put the 500gb hd back where the optical drive is?

Why not a 1TB SSD?

Can you afford it?

The Crucial 512GB SSD is around $400, if you can afford it, go ahead.

You can get a 256GB Samsung 830 for ~$200. Why not save the extra 200?

Usually anything passed 200GB on your machine is going to be data that won't really benefit from SSDs, such as MP3s, videos, etc.

If you do editing, SSDs will definitely come in handy. But if you're just playing back stuff, it won't.

I say save the $, get 256GB and put your 500GB in the optical drive, if you really need the extra 500GB. Very soon 512GB SSDs will hit the $200 mark and you can just get that and keep your current SSD and put it in another machine :)

Klae

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I've been very pleased with both of these models in various capacities, from Other World Computing (OWC):

OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro..........................OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro™
main_otg_pic2.jpg
mealp_onscreen0409.jpg

Alright thanks ill check them out.

----------

Why not a 1TB SSD?

Can you afford it?

The Crucial 512GB SSD is around $400, if you can afford it, go ahead.

You can get a 256GB Samsung 830 for ~$200. Why not save the extra 200?

Usually anything passed 200GB on your machine is going to be data that won't really benefit from SSDs, such as MP3s, videos, etc.

If you do editing, SSDs will definitely come in handy. But if you're just playing back stuff, it won't.

I say save the $, get 256GB and put your 500GB in the optical drive, if you really need the extra 500GB. Very soon 512GB SSDs will hit the $200 mark and you can just get that and keep your current SSD and put it in another machine :)
haha cant afford a 1tb ssd but yeah im looking into either the 256gb or the 512gb might just get the 256 and get an external like everyone says.

----------

Haven't given it a thought haha. It's a month until I get the MBP anyway, and I may not even need one so if I do it'll just be whatever's good value ;p

haha alrighty man

----------

Anything with a good name brand - off newegg / amazon / owc / etc

Alright thanks appreciate it!

Lance-AR

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I have a Vertex 4. I love it but getting the firmware updated required a few steps beyond what the 2011 mini it is in was capable of. I added external storage for media. The OCZ is 128GB and I really can't picture myself needing more on the SSD side.

Klae

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I have a Vertex 4. I love it but getting the firmware updated required a few steps beyond what the 2011 mini it is in was capable of. I added external storage for media. The OCZ is 128GB and I really can't picture myself needing more on the SSD side.

Yeah im with you man I put a 120gb in my mac mini and im starving for more storage. I also do have a lot of music and videos so that is my problem. I will get an external for my mini and now I know to go with a bigger size for my next computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.