Questions on wired/wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bhodgson0739, Dec 18, 2008.

1. bhodgson0739 macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a question I could use expert advice on... sorry for the length, but I need to give some expositional information to set the question up.

My wife and I live above her business in an old loft. She has DSL downstairs for her business... which I have set up through an Airport Express. Problem is, connectivity is bad to non-existent for us upstairs and we don't have cable OR a phone line ran to our place upstairs, so we'd have to pay to have cable or DSL actually wired into the building.

So, we need to either tap into her DSL downstairs and run it upstairs through a router, or have our place upstairs wired for a separate account (whether it is cable or DSL - depends on installation pricing).

So, there is my dilemma; I can route the DSL through a router and then hard wire it all the way upstairs... but I'd like to run it into an Airport Express upstairs as we have a mac pro, Apple TV, and her macbook that I'd like to keep wireless (I can always hard wire the Apple TV, too if need be). This would save us the cost of installation and the extra account payment each month.

If this sounds like an iffy idea in relation to consistently strong connectivity for all elements upstairs, I'd rather spend the money to set up a new account and know I'll get good connectivity then spend the money/time on a router set-up and find out after the fact the connectivity is sporadic and/or sub-par.

Make sense? Any advice from those more technically savvy than me? Thank you!

Brad

2. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

well to start with, i don't think i would get a separate account if you already have the service.

i assume your Airport Express ( AE ) is downstairs...hence the connectivity problems. so the first step would be to try to relocate the AE for better signal strength. also have you worked with the AE settings to optimize signal strength?

secondly:
    can you run an ethernet cable yourself? in that case, you could rather inexpensively get internet upstairs by running that cable to the upstairs from the dsl modem to the AE upstairs.

you're best connectivity would be to get an ethernet cable upstairs and airport express for upstairs.

3. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro