Questions on your macbook experience.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redwolf8, Aug 3, 2008.

1. redwolf8 macrumors newbie

I plan on getting a macbook after the updates. I have a mini now so im not new to Macs. And i only have the cash for the base model(unless the price is changed as rumored)

But first i need everyone who reads this posts response on the following questions:

1)How long have you had your macbook?

2)How many macbooks have you owned?

3)if you have had other macbooks how long did it take before it so slow you had to replace it?

4)How much ram did you find yourself needing?

5)what is the average time a macbook has before coming obsolete?

6) what should i get with it(external hard drives,mouse,ect.)

7)what are some if any problems youve had with yours?
    and last: Do you enjoy your macbook?

please answer i need to know what i should expect when getting a macbook.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

1)How long have you had your macbook? Between my two: Almost two years.

2)How many macbooks have you owned? Two, upgraded from Macbook white to Macbook Pro

3)if you have had other macbooks how long did it take before it so slow you had to replace it? Never?

4)How much ram did you find yourself needing? 2GB minimum

5)what is the average time a macbook has before coming obsolete? New revisions will come out every year. Don't think of it as obsolete. Technology will always better itself.

and last: Do you enjoy your macbook? For sure.

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

1. One and a half year
    2. 3 in total.... 1 not counting my MBPs
    3. Im still using all three of them and they're fast like hell!
    4. Upgraded MB - 2GB, 1 MBP - 4GB
    5. 4 - 5 years. But really depends on you!

4. Matek macrumors 6502a

Year and a half.

Just this one.

Since the MacBook is a fairly new product, I think even the people with the first generation (Core Duo 1.83) have machines that are quite fast/modern.

I'm not tracking my usage, but since you can get 4 GB (which is the maximum) for 70 bucks (newegg), getting any less would be stupid IMHO.

Pointless question, this depends entirely on your needs. The computer won't get slower with time, so if it does what you want at the moment (surfing, music, movies, word processing, whatever), it will do it the same way in 5 years as well and will as such never get obsolete.

If you, on the other hand, always need the maximum performance, you can replace it with the new model every 6 months.

Again - depends on your needs. If you have a large movie/music/photo collection, you will definitely need a new hard drive (either a 320/500GB internal one if you're on the road a lot or an external one if it doesn't bother you to carry it around). If you will use the MacBook as a desktop most of the time, you will surely need to buy a mouse as well, etc.

Build quality isn't the best out there. I've had some plastic cracking around the edges (known problem), the trackpad button is slightly loose (also happens a lot) and the screen sometimes flickers when you open/close/adjust it.

I'm reasonably satisfied. As I said, the build quality could be better, which is why i will probably get a ThinkPad when it's time to replace this MacBook, but other than that it was pretty much everything I expected - an average 13" laptop with the ability to run OS X :).

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

1) 1.5 years.
    2) 1
    3) It doesn't get slower over time. Why the hell should it?? :confused: :eek:
    4) 2 GB
    5) Depends on what you use it for.
    6) I'd get a Bluetooth mouse for use on the desk. External HDs are not necessary if you can fit all your stuff on the internal HD.
    7) No problems at all.
    8) Yes, but would have been a LOT happier with a MBP.