Questions: Quickbooks 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jedi5, May 17, 2011.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Looking to buy QB 2001 for our business. Need to track expenses, inventory, payroll, etc...

From what I've read, QB is the one of the better if not best programs for what I am looking to do. Thing is, the reviews I've read from users seem to be mixed.

Anyone here have QB 2011 and either like or dislike it?
    This is the one I'm leaning towards but some of the reviews keep me from making the purchase.

If not QB then is there another better one I should look into?

2. slowtraveler macrumors member

QB Mac 2011 is a solid program, IMO. I'm a CFO and management consultant who has used several different versions of QuickBooks, including the Enterprise version on Windows, and have seen no significant problems with QB Mac 2011.

If this is your first time purchasing accounting software for your small business, consider enlisting your accountant or a QuickBooks-knowledgeable business advisor to help you set up the program and develop a workflow that matches your business processes.

Although QB is pretty easy to use, in my experience one needs a certain amount of accounting knowledge to optimize it for a given set of business requirements.

Getting a clean, correct setup from the start saves lots of time and hassle in the long run.

3. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

See, this is what I don't get, you are happy with QB and call it a solid program.
    Yet you go to go Amazon, Apple, and other sites and you'll see user reviews giving QB2011 poor reviews.

Dunno, I think I'm going to go and buy it anyway.
    I need a program and everything I've read states that QB is one of the better ones.

Thanks for your response on this!

4. slowtraveler, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

slowtraveler macrumors member

You're welcome.

I notice that a good number of reviewers seem to dislike QB 2011 Mac because it compares unfavorably with QB for Windows. I would agree that the Windows versions are better--larger user base equals more features, better QA, and more resources expended by Intuit on development.

If you are new to QuickBooks, you won't be bothered by the differences :)

If you already run Windows in your organization, or maintain a Windows VM on your Mac, you might want to investigate the Windows editions of QB. I run several versions of QB (including Enterprise) on a Parallels 6/Win 7 Pro VM, and they work just fine.

Also, if your accounting needs are not super complex, check out the online versions of QuickBooks (http://quickbooksonline.intuit.com), which render the whole question of operating systems irrelevant.

5. jackapple macrumors member

@slowtraveler I am trying to decide between getting Quickbooks for Mac or going the Quickbooks Online route. Do you have any experience or words of wisdom regarding the online version you mentioned above?

6. slowtraveler macrumors member

I haven't used any of the online products, so I can't give you the benefit of first-hand knowledge there. If your requirements are dead simple, e.g., you are a freelance graphic designer who needs to invoice clients and keep track of expenses, then the less-expensive QB Online product might suit. You can begin with a 30-day free trial, if you like.

The more-powerful online versions get kind of pricey, as you may have noticed. If you believe you'll need the kind of functionality provided in Online Plus editions, I'd consider buying the desktop version instead.

Intuit maintains some product comparison charts that might help you choose between QB Mac and QB Online, or among the various online versions:

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/product/accounting-software/quickbooks-comparison-chart.jsp

http://quickbooksonline.intuit.com/finance-accounting-solutions/

Basically, I think it's horses for courses. If you can describe your business requirements a little bit (industry, company size and history, number of accounting users, what functions you require, what program(s) you are using now, etc), I could give you a more specific opinion.

Here's the most important point, though. Almost all small businesses are eventually going to need the services of an actual accountant (even if only occasionally). If you don't already have one I would certainly begin by lining up that relationship first, and only then deciding on the best software solution.

Cheers,

B.

7. mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

I Use QB 2009 - professional services, in a windows virtual machine, works great.

Before I bought it back when, you could do a free trial, it had sample companies so you could mess around with the actual software and really get a feel for it.

Maybe they still have a free trial.

Michael