Questions re Connection to TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IPadNParadise, Mar 30, 2013.

1. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I am a mac newbie. A mid 2012 macbook pro. Today I have connected it to my Sony Bravia HD TV and have watched a TV episode bought from itunes. I was so happy to see how easy this was but still have some questions that I cant figure out.

1. How to get the MBP display to turn off. Under Sys Pref>Energy Saver, I set the computer sleep to 3 hr and the display sleep to 1 minute. The MBP stayed on for the entire hour long TV episode. I worry about screen burn in. If thats not an issue, I will just live with the MBP screen being on tho.

2. I cant get the TV itself to control the brightness and I have turned the MBP brightness all the way up and it still is dark around the outer edges on some scenes. Some are ok but would be better if I could get the TV itself to allow me to brighten it. Is there a setting somewhere that will allow me to tell the TV settings to change?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You may find some answers here:
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

If you adjust the settings on your TV to get things looking right, then when you go back to watching the TV as a TV, then you'll have to re-adjust again.

With you Mac connected, go into System Preferences>Displays, select the TV, click on the Colour Tab and then calibrate/adjust the display to your liking. Save the settings, and then it should look right every time your connect your Mac.

With my Mac Mini, sometimes the display comes up wrong, so in System Preferences, select the Show Displays in Menubar option, then if it does display wrong, click on the icon and click "Detect Display", and it should correct itself.