Questions Re: iPhone vs Blackberry 8800

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrianC22, Feb 13, 2008.

1. BrianC22 macrumors newbie

I searched the forums for the topic and came up with some old results, but I have some specific questions that weren't covered.

1. I have a mac at home, and a PC at work. I would primarily sync at home, so I will need my device to be compatible with a mac. How does the iPhone sync with a Mac? Can you set up a blackberry with Microsoft Exchange Server on a Mac?

2. I've also read that when a blackberry user with Exchange changes a calendar event or some contact information on his/her PC, the changes automatically appear on the BlackBerry. Are there any new changes that allow the iPhone and the Mac to sync this way?

3. Has Google made any changes to the way Gmail works on the iPhone? Are there plans to add more features that would be useful for business/productivity?

4. Will Facebook/Youtube/other services work on the 8800?

Thanks in advance for your responses

2. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

1. The iPhone syncs through iTunes. You can't sync the phone to more than one computer, though. You'll have to choose between your home Mac and work PC.

2. The only thing that works this way on the iPhone is Gmail (if you use it). You can't sync contacts, schedules, etc. wirelessly. Maybe AT&T will add that stuff in the future, but that's debatable.

3. Yes, there's a nice iPhone-formatted version of Gmail that you can use through the web browser, Safari. Google now supports IMAP (see no. 1 above) so you'll stay synced up at all times.

4. No idea. Perhaps a Blackberry user can chime in here.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Do you know if you're going to be using a BIS or a BES to connect your work Exchange to your BB?

4. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i had a 8800...just sold it and bought a iPhone

hated my 8800..it sucked

5. BrianC22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't currently have a corporate email account so I will be using BIS as long as there are no problems with using gmail. Maybe I should have asked that as well. Will gmail work with BIS?

6. BrianC22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, this is very useful.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

gmail should work fine. At least it did for me a year or so ago (using Verizon's BIS).

Regarding #2, I the BlackBerry over-the-air sync for the calendars only works in on BES. Haven't heard of any OTA sync plans for the iPhone, but who knows. If you do make any calendar/address book/bookmark changes, the next time you sync your iPhone, they will update the computer (or vice versa).

Regarding Facebook, etc, ... most websites have a generic mobile site that does well on any mobile browser. The advantage to the iPhone is that you can hit the "regular website" (which almost always looks better than the mobile site). Or some sites have a specific iPhone version, like http://iphone.foxnews.com Those sites usually work/look awesome.

I'm curious to see what's going to happen with the iPhone when the software developer kit gets into the hands of developers. The BlackBerry has some good third-party apps, but the iPhone's seems to have a lot more "webapps" (http://www.apple.com/webapps) available in a lot shorter time period. I'm curious if that means the developers will release a lot of third-party apps.

8. firewire212 macrumors newbie

No flash on the 8800 means no youtube and most other sites that rely heavily on it. Iphone does have youtube because they 1: have a built in app specifically for it and 2: the database of youtube has been converted to a iphone friendly video format.

I had the 8830 which is basically the same thing as the 8800. Viewing websites was a major pain in the ass on that thing. The iphone has the best browsing experience hands down.

9. BrianC22 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is also great info, thanks alot

I looked over that list of webapps, there seems to be some useful stuff on the list. I wonder if there will be some third party apps in the near future that do some things the iPhone can't, for example, cut and paste or voice to text recognition or shorthand text options..

Concerning email on the iPhone, is it difficult to type on the touch screen keyboard? I message/email alot

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

I really didn't like the touch-screen keyboard the first week or two, but once I started to trust it (instead of backspacing every time I hit a wrong key, continue typing the rest of the word because 95% of the time, the iPhone will properly correct it, even with multiple typos in it), things got a lot better.

11. drugs! macrumors regular

I'd say it depends what you are going to be using it for... both are great at what they do. If need your phone for heavy emailing, work related issues, etc... then go for the blackberry. If you want a cool multimedia phone with email accessability, go for the iphone

12. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I'd say BlackBerry is better on the business end, but I'm not fully qualified to make that judgment being that I don't have an iPhone.

I've been a total Apple fanboy for over five years and had planned on getting an iPhone after this past Christmas. However, I landed a short-term contract working with BlackBerry. I have a Pearl 8130 (which is very similar to the 8830) and I simply love it. I'm honestly having a hard time trying to decide whether to buy my own BB or an iPhone. Here are some pluses for the BB:

It's extremely durable, tons of third party apps, typing is a breeze, expandable memory card slot, and the push email is hands down the best. Also, Verizon has a great GPS application called VZNav that works on BlackBerry's and is simply great. It's just like having a Garmin/Magellan/etc.

It could be argued that BB is considered the standard in the professional world. I believe there will be flash capabilities in the next OS update, but youtube DOES work on my 8130, both in the BB browser and the OperaMini app I dowloaded. Gmail is a breeze on the BB, and Google Sync makes it even better. The battery life is outstanding too, which is why I'm reconsidering the iPhone. My 8130 gets almost 4 hours of talk time. I use it all day long for email, navigating, surfing, etc. and it never once has run out of juice during the day. I simply charge it at night and it is ready to go. I know some guys who use their BB's almost exclusively for email and get several days' use out of it.

Another big plus is the internet tethering option. You can connect your BB to your computer, and have the device act as an aircard. I'm on Verizon and the connection speed is great. It's also very handy when needing to access the net on the road.

The one downside is Mac compatibility. While it does sync with some apps, the bundled Roxio Media Manager software is only PC. I believe the BB Desktop Manager Software is only PC too. MY BB works fine with my Mac, but it is far better on a PC. Ugh.

Feel free to PM me with any BB questions. I'll be watching this thread to help me in my upcoming phone decision.

13. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I used to be constantly on my BB. But ever since I got my iPhone, I barely touched it. I still have to use it since my work requires BES. But that's about all I used it for, check work email every now and then. The GMail that used to go into the BIS, into my BB, is now directly on my iPhone through IMAP. :)