Questions Regarding 64-bit Windows 7 on Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DemonicZeus, Mar 13, 2014.

1. DemonicZeus macrumors member

Hello everyone, I've searched for references before creating this thread but there was not enough explanation for my need.
    I thought I'd need a detailed answers for my specific questions.

I have a Mid 2009 2.26 GHz Macbook Pro running OS X Mavericks.
    I also have a Bootcamp partition running 32-bit Windows 7 because I haven't upgraded my RAM (which I have now to 6 GB memory).

My questions are:
    1. I need to re-install my Windows 7 to 64-bit since I can't use all of the 6 GB memory because I'm running 32-bit (maximum 2.7 GB usable) to play Rocksmith 2014. Are there any negative effects or differences if I run 64-bit?
    2. Can my Mac (with my upgraded RAM) run the 64-bit? Will there be any lags?
    3. What do I need besides the 64-bit installer to re-install my Windows Bootcamp?

That's about all guys, I would appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding this topic.

Thank you for coming by.

2. Newtons Apple, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I am running 64 bit Win 7 Pro on BootCamp on my late 2013 rMBPro and it is very fast. Sorry I can't help with all of your questions as it was set up by the retailer, but it is worth the trouble!

3. DemonicZeus thread starter macrumors member

Alright, no problem! Thanks for sharing though.

4. saturnotaku, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

saturnotaku macrumors 68000

1. No.

2a. Yes.
    2b. Lags?

3. You will need the Windows support software and updated drivers for your GPU, which you can download directly from NVIDIA.

5. DemonicZeus thread starter macrumors member

I've seen some where an old Unibody Macbook with 2 ghz core 2 duo runs 64 bit after upgrading to 4 GB RAM.

Any explanation regarding this?

Thanks

6. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I don't have that specific machine to answer whether or not it would have drivers for the 64-bit version, but in every way the 64-bit version is the best way to go if the drivers support it. There are no drawbacks to speak of other than not being able to run any 16-bit applications. This typically is not an issue as only very old software would use 16-bit installers. The 32-bit version of Windows can run the old 16-bit installers, but x64 will not. This would only be apparent if you are running very old software.

You cannot do any type of upgrade to the 64-bit version - you will have to do a clean installation of it from the media. Your product key for the 32-bit version will work on the 64-bit, however.

"Lags?" Not sure what you mean by "lags?"

7. DemonicZeus thread starter macrumors member

I totally understand I would need to do a clean install but I'm concerned more if my Mac can run x64 with my current spec. Can it or can't it?

Thanks

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If your system can run OS X Mavericks, it can run 64-bit Windows.

9. DemonicZeus thread starter macrumors member

My system runs OS X Mavericks flawlessly.

10. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I misread your post when I first responded. Only the very first MacBook Pros (2006?) could not run 64-bit operating systems. You will be fine.