Questions regarding an early 2009 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TrollToddington, Feb 8, 2012.

1. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

Hi gang,

My little sis plans on joining a course in Design in her University. She has told me she needs a new, more contemporary, computer in order to do the exercises for her classes. She has been modelling jewelery for a few years and wants to enhance her knowledge. On a few occasions, I've helped her process some series of photographs with Aperture but now I think she'd rather started doing her homework herself.

Long story short, I am offered the following configuration:

Early 2009 24" iMac 2.93 GHz core 2 duo
    640GB 7000 RPM HDD
    256 MB VRAM
    4 GB RAM
    wired keyboard & mouse
    In perfect condition
    OS Lion
    The seller does not mention if the computer has warranty (presumably, no warranty)
    Price asked: 500€

The questions:
    1 will this configuration be sufficient for running light-to-medium Photoshop and Aperture 3? Will it be able to process 10-12 MPix RAW files from a Nikon camera as effortlessly as my i3 iMac does? I presume it will be quite OK for browsing the internet and watching movies.

2 Do you think this machine can last for additional (at least) 3 years?

3 is this a fair price for this iMac? The seller is a Learning center which is upgrading their computers.

Regards,
    Troll

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes.

No.

Correct.

Macs last as long as you want them to.

I'd say it's a little high, but it's not like you are getting badly burned.

3. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

I have the same model iMac. Aperture can be sluggish at times with large libraries, but it's completely useable. Photoshop works great as well.