All iPads Questions Regarding Cellular on an iPad in certain situations

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yebubbleman, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I have a 16GB third generation iPad with Verizon.

I presently have two other cellular iPads with Verizon, a 32GB third generation belonging to my father and a 128GB iPad Air. These are both currently on a shared "More Everything" (post-paid) data plan.

Given that (a) I don't always take my 128GB iPad Air everywhere I go (on account that I paid a pretty penny for it and would like to keep it out of the more sketchy locales) and (b) have separate use to get the 16GB third generation iPad online with the shared data plan, I'm giving thought to doing so.

That being said, I would like to use this 16GB third generation iPad for a few things:

- Jailbreaking
    - Running beta releases of yet-unreleased iOS (I'm currently running 8.1 Beta 2 on it)
    - Teaching myself how to use MDM tools provided by services like AirWatch and OS X Server (and testing them on this iPad)

Long story short, I don't have experience with doing any complex wiping and reloading of iOS with devices that have an active cellular plan. My guess is that, especially with devices that are not signed up (from the device) for pre-paid service, that it's no different than wiping a wifi only device in that I don't need to do anything special to get the device to see cellular again or to re-activate it. I wouldn't know though. Given this, I have the following questions. Bear with me, as I'm pretty sure I know the answers, and this is literally due to (a) not owning an iPhone, and (b) never having done extensive jailbreaking/beta testing/MDM on an iOS device with cellular before.

1. If I DFU-wipe the OS and load either (a) a beta OS, (b) a pre-jailbroken OS, or (c) reload a normal current OS but then load a whole bunch of MDM profiles, do I have to re-activate my iPad with Verizon to get it re-connected with my data plan? Or does that all happen independently of the OS?

2. If I use either a jailbroken OS, a beta OS, or even a beta OS that has been jailbroken, do I need to worry about unauthorized access to my Verizon account and/or plan? Or does that, again, all happen on a hardware level independently of the OS? (I imagine that I probably won't use third-party tethering software as I get no-additional-cost tethering included in my data plan and, unless third-party tethering software offers me any additional functionality, what Apple provides stock should be sufficient.

3. Are there any other considerations that I should consider when doing the things that I want to be doing with this iPad in conjunction with having this iPad join my shared data plan with Verizon?

Please let me know; any info helps! Thanks!

2. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

3. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

AFAIK you can wipe wipe and wipe again using restore, DFU, whatever and the iPad will activate everytime automatically. all of the cellular information is kept on the sim card

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

This is correct. At least it was on my daughters iPhone 5. She just got it last night and after activating it, we did a complete wipe and then pulled down a backup she did with her old phone. The carrier info was all there and the phone worked perfectly.

5. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

So, based on this, I'm assuming beta versions of iOS are fine.

How about Jailbroken iOS. Is there any security concern that I should be worried about when it comes to jailbreak apps and/or outside attackers having access to my Verizon account?