Questions regarding Installing Tiger onto a G3 iBook with no DVD drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thomasp, Aug 10, 2007.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Firstly, I'm only using a G3 iBook because my PowerBook with Tiger installed has gone in for repair. I can't find any of the applications I regularly use that work on 10.1, including internet browsers. And Internet Explorer is quite possibly the worst piece of software ever coded!!!

I've had a quick look at the link mentioned in the "Guides" section at the top of this forum, but I don't have an iPod (I do have a firewire HD, which currently has a bootable backup of my PowerBook's HD on it, so I don't really want to screw that up, in case my PB ocmes back with a wiped hD).

What I do have is a MacBook Pro, a Tiger installer DVD (not the MBP or PB's - one bought off the shelf), an ethernet cable and an ageing G3 iBook. Is it possible to load the DVD onto the MBP then access it as if it were a network drive in order to install Tiger onto the iBook? I'll also need to do a very, very minimal install of Tiger due to the HD restrictions on the iBook.

Also, before I start this - will Tiger actually run? The iBook is a 500MHz G3 with 384Mb RAM and an 8Mb graphics card. The HD is 15Gb and can be erased. According to the Tiger box, it only requires 256Mb RAM, but there's no mention of the graphics card requirements... will an 8Mb card do?

Thanks for the help :)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Boot the MBP into Target Disk Mode
    2. Put the DVD into the MBP
    3. Plug the iBook into the MBP via FireWire.

Now to the best of my knowledge your MacBook Pro will then be a very, very expensive DVD drive. 8 MB if VRAM is fine. Just don't expect it to be fast.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

So the MBP is the target computer?

Will it cause any problems with the iBook being PPC and the MBP being Intel?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're only going to use the MacBook Pro as a boot device and are not going to directly install anything on it. Once again it should just be a really expensive hard and DVD drive.

5. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iBook is now running Tiger, and is currently downloading about 200Mb of software updates...

I decided to follow the instructions here - copying the DVD and installing from a FireWire drive instead of using Target Disk Mode, and it appears to have worked :D

It was also surprisingly quick as well (installing the OS, that is), as I doubt a DVD can be read at 400Mbps.

Thanks for the help :)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Now that works as well. :D