Questions regarding Mac OS X and its updates

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by girish1026, Feb 17, 2011.

1. girish1026 macrumors newbie

Hi to all. I am new here. Just recently my brother brought MAC laptop. The installed OS in laptop is Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Till now i am not familiar with MAC OS installation and usage. Of-Course i got info in Google and Apple website about usage and etc. But i have a few questions.

1. Now i am trying to install Mac OS X again. I searched in Apple website for any available updates for Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I saw there is an important update available. But it is available in two variants. One is Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update (Size 143.59 MB) and the other is Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo (Size is 1.06 GB) I gone through detailed description about these two updates. But i am not able to find exact difference between them. Both contains incremental updates and both have nearly same description. But why one in above 1 GB in size and other is only 143 MB. Which one i need to download and what is the exact difference between these two updates?

2. Is there a way to integrate this update to Mac OS X Snow Leopard installation files and create a Mac OS X Snow Leopard installation DVD which contains both OS and update. Just like Windows 7 with Service Pack 1. If so, how the method would be?

3. Is there a tool available to customize the installation of Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Just like RT 7 Lite, which is available to customize Win 7 installation image.

Please let me know answers for the above mentioned questions if possible. I already searched in Google but i am not able to find proper information.

Thanks
    Girish G.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Combo update includes all prior updates so you can use it to e.g. upgrade 10.6.2 to 10.6.6. Normal update does not include the contents of older updates so it can only be used to update e.g. 10.6.5 to 10.6.6.

2. I'm not sure but you could be able to burn both files to one DVD but I don't know how it would work. I would use two separate DVDs.

3. You can customize the installation when installing (leave out stuff like printer drivers, languages) but I'm not aware of a tool that would do that to the disk image.

3. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

Why not just install the disc you have, then run Software Update and let it download any updates? (You can deselect from within this if you don't want something.)