Questions regarding Microsoft Office 2011 Word Normal.dotm template

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Big Byte, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Big Byte macrumors regular

Hello,

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro, which is running Mac OS X 10.7.3. In doing so, I had to purchase Microsoft Office 2011 as my MBP can not run Microsoft Office 2004 (which I was using on my old iBook G4).

My questions are about the Normal.dotm template that is found in the User Templates subfolder buried in Application Support.

Specifically, whenever I open Word, the initial document is opened in "Notebook Layout View". What I would like is for the initial document to open in "Print Layout View" when I open Word. I have tried opening and modifying the Normal.dotm template, but every time I save it and open Word again, it resorts to the previous Notebook Layout View.

As well, I would like to modify my Normal.dotm template so that, whenever I create a new document, the document is already maximized to fit the screen; it's a bit time consuming to manually have to resize a document every time I open it. I think I was able to do this in the 2004 version, but don't know how to do it with this version.

Finally, the 2011 version contains a new "toolbar" that is opened every time a document is opened or created. This "toolbar" is unlike one I have seen in the 2004 version and has menus such as "home", "layout", "document elements", etc. While it is possible to hide this toolbar once a document is opened or created, I was wondering if there is anyway to have it hidden by default.

I'm hoping someone can help me.

Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Don't you think that you are using an awfully big sledgehammer to dispatch that gnat? I have never had to manually edit the Normal.dotx, the Normal.dot, or any other template to get Word to open in Print Layout View.

3. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know if it is something I did or whether or not it's Word's default layout, but documents open up in Notebook view and I don't know how to change it.