Questions Regarding New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MauerFan, Aug 21, 2012.

1. MauerFan macrumors regular

On Friday I am picking up a new macbook pro that will be used for college. This will be my first laptop (and mac) so I was wondering if there are some specific things I should do when I first use. Is there any security measures that should be addressed? Any other basic things that should be done? I understand that the most important thing to do is to play around with it and learn the features. Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can just turn it on and start using it. As for security measures, read "What security steps should I take?" in the following link:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    Portables Fast Start: The New User's Guide to Apple Notebooks

3. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Oh, I had a question regarding the battery. Should I charge it right away, or is it okay if I use it? I've read that you should charge it for 7 hours when you get it. I also read that you should let it die completely once a month.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Just turn it on. :)

The learning curve is the only obstacle but that's half the fun.

Also, be wary of where you set that thing on campus. You can leave 4 Dells lying around unattended and 1 mac. The mac will get legs every time.

5. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I definitely will be careful with it. I was thinking of getting a lock for it.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple recommends you fully charge it when you first get it. No, you don't need to charge it for 7 hours. It will stop charging when it's full. It cannot overcharge. You can run with it plugged in or unplugged, and you don't need to let it die ever.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

7. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot!