Questions regarding RAM upgrade.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gofre, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Gofre macrumors regular

(Apologies if this is in the wrong section)

Hi all,
    In an effort to make myself feel better about the imminent MBP update that's coming less than a month after I bought mine (plus the fact that I actually need to, but that's not as important =P), I'm planning to upgrade the RAM on my pro. While I'm comfortable performing the actual switch, this is as far as my knowledge stretches regarding upgrades. So, a couple of questions:
    -I know all RAM types work with all varieties of computer for the most part, are there any particular brands of RAM that are better suited to Macs, or advisable to stay away from?
    -Once I've performed the switch, do I need to do anything else before my Mac is usable, or will it "just work"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated [=

2. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Many users around here swear by OWC RAM, they have a very reliable track record. As for myself, I always have used Mushkin and found them to be the same in terms of reliability. As long as your RAM is compatible, it should just "work".

3. Gofre thread starter macrumors regular

Thankyou :)

4. scbond macrumors 6502

Not all RAM types work on all motherboards at all. You need to make sure you have the right one. The aluminium MacBook Pro and the 2010 Mac mini both use PC3-8500 DDR3 200-pin modules, not sure about the others in the range though. I personally think very highly of Crucial and their memory options. They have performed amazingly well in my PC and Mac mini and in a past Dell laptop.

If they're the right modules, they've been installed properly and you discharged static etc. then it should just work. If something is wrong then the Mac won't boot up.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'm one of those who swears by OWC. If they sell it, its good stuff.

Cant go wrong with:
    NuRam
    Crucial
    OWC Brand