Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ocvlvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
Hi.

I've had a look at similar threads, but most issues like mine seems to be on "ontouched" iMacs. As described below, this one already have had an upgrade:

I have an iMac late 2014, 27 inch, Quad Core i7. 32 GB RAM running OS 11.7.9 on an internal Fusion(?) drive. Plenty of free disk space (700 GB).

It became super slow at one point, and we sent it in, changing the old drive to the current one, which I believe is a Fusion type.

It ran pretty well until the summer of 2022, but then it gradually became slower. At one point I could barely use it at all, opening a Finder window would take minutes.

I recently updated the OS to 11.7.9 and it seems to be a little better now, but still not near as good as it should be with the stats described above. Looking at activity monitor, there's no RAM-hog or anything like that and the CPU is within normal limits.

Here's a snapshot of the drive info:

hkckybep80ob1.png

Screenshot-2023-09-15-at-10-23-53.png

Screenshot-2023-09-15-at-10-43-33.png

MacOS drive info:

Screenshot-2023-09-14-at-11-06-12.png

DiskDrill results:

Screenshot-2023-09-14-at-10-52-08.png

S.M.A.R.T. scan results:

Screenshot-2023-09-14-at-11-12-37.png

Etre Check results:

What do you guys think?

Is it worth trying to do a factory reset? Or is "back to the doctor" my best option here?

All the best,

O

Last edited:
Reactions: OldLogan0101

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The answer is simple.

STOP BOOTING from the internal drive.

Get an EXTERNAL SSD (they're downright cheap) and boot and run from the external SSD.

ANYONE can do this, it's little more than child's play on the Mac.

For an SSD, I recommend this:

With an external SSD, you will get read speeds around 420-430MBps.
What are you getting RIGHT NOW?
(use the free "BlackMagic Speed Test" software to find out.

Ocvlvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
The answer is simple.

STOP BOOTING from the internal drive.

Get an EXTERNAL SSD (they're downright cheap) and boot and run from the external SSD.

ANYONE can do this, it's little more than child's play on the Mac.

For an SSD, I recommend this:

With an external SSD, you will get read speeds around 420-430MBps.
What are you getting RIGHT NOW?
(use the free "BlackMagic Speed Test" software to find out.
Thanks!

I'd be happy to do that if it fixes the issue...

Well, the Black Magic Test will never finish, as it's hoovering at a whopping 10-ish MBPS on WRITE speed..

EDIT: The final results were:

WRITE: 7.3 MBps
READ: 403.7 MBps

Last edited:
Reactions: OldLogan0101

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Fusion drive failing. Boot from external SSD and don’t use the Fusion drive for any reason if you value your data. @Fishrrman speaks the truth.

Ocvlvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
OK, so I got hold of an SSD. Now trying to make it the boot disk (using the restore from the old drive method).

It's not the end of the world if I have to make a clean re-install of OS, but I figured it was worth a try.

Not sure how long it usually takes, I had two options "MacOS" and "MacOS Data", I chose the first one.

At any rate, it's been going for more than an hour now and have been sitting around the "95%" mark for the last 40 minutes...

Not sure if it will ever finish... SSD's still flashing blue though...

Last edited:

Ocvlvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
Update:

OK, so the restoring finally finished and I have selected the new SSD as boot disk.

Looking at BlackMagic I now get a write AND READ speed of around 30 mbps.

Seems like the USB port is slowing things down?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The Sabrent enclosure (as referenced to in reply 6 above) is a good choice.
I have more than one of them.

If what you're doing now doesn't work, I'll outline another way to do it that I predict WILL work.

1. Boot from the internal drive (for now).

2. Open disk utility. Go to the view menu and choose "Show all devices". VERY IMPORTANT STEP -- do not miss this!

3. Look at the list on the left. Locate the physical SSD.

4. Click on the SSD ONE time to select it, then click "erase".

5. Erase it to APFS, GUID partition format.

6. OK, next step -- download SuperDuper by clicking this link:
download
(SD is FREE to use for the purpose we're going to use it for)

7. SuperDuper is one of the easiest-to-use Mac apps in existence. Launch it and accept the default settings.

8. Use SD to clone the contents of the internal drive to the SSD.
It will take a while.

9. When done, go to the startup disk preference pane, and set the SSD to be the boot drive.

10. Reboot. Do you get "a good boot" to the SSD? If so, you're done.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE the OP post 7 above:
If you're only getting 30MBps from an SSD, you've done something wrong.

Get the enclosure and try again.

Ocvlvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
I deleted the enclosure part, I realised what it was for... The SSD I have is a Samsung, pretty close to the one you referred to in post 2. It's currently plugged straight into the regular USB port on the back of the iMac.

So no enclosure needed for this one..

The guy in the video I followed formatted the SSD in Mac OS Ext... Not sure if that's bad..

(
)

I'll look through your 10-step rocket and get back..

Ocvlvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
OK, I've followed the 9 steps, but on step 9, my new SSD is not available as a Startup Disk. Only the original one is there. (if you were referring to the Startup Disk option in System settings)

EDIT: I restarted the computer pressing down CMD+R and selected the SSD from there instead.

Booted from the SSD. The disk write/read remains the same. 30/30. Not sure if Black Magic is measuring the wrong drive. I cannot select the new SSD in the Black Magic menu. It just says that the selected location is "read only"....

The SSD in itself seems to work just fine. And a lot quicker than the old one..

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE the cable:
USB3 "a" cables have a BLUE tip at the end.
Older, slower USB "a" cables have a tip that is usually white or black, but NOT blue.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
Might be time to upgrade to another Mac. 11.7.10 seems to be the last update for Big Sur and the fusion drive is a problematic technology solution compared to modern SSD options.

I had a late 2014 27" iMac that I upgraded the 3 TB Fusion Drive to a 2 TB Crucial SSD a few years back and that did breathe new life into it. However, with security updates for Big Sur a thing of the past and OS updates not supported, I sold mine last March and upgraded to the M2 Pro Mac mini + Apple Studio Display.

Very happy ever since moving to the M2 Pro. Night and day performance improvements plus current on OS versions.

Ocvlvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
RE the cable:
USB3 "a" cables have a BLUE tip at the end.
Older, slower USB "a" cables have a tip that is usually white or black, but NOT blue.

This, I know. What I didn't know was that I even had a USB 2.0 lying around!

Ocvlvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
Might be time to upgrade to another Mac. 11.7.10 seems to be the last update for Big Sur and the fusion drive is a problematic technology solution compared to modern SSD options.

I had a late 2014 27" iMac that I upgraded the 3 TB Fusion Drive to a 2 TB Crucial SSD a few years back and that did breathe new life into it. However, with security updates for Big Sur a thing of the past and OS updates not supported, I sold mine last March and upgraded to the M2 Pro Mac mini + Apple Studio Display.

Very happy ever since moving to the M2 Pro. Night and day performance improvements plus current on OS versions.

My main use will be digital painting so I'll probably let this run for a few more years... I actually had a new update for Big Sur just a few days ago.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
My main use will be digital painting so I'll probably let this run for a few more years... I actually had a new update for Big Sur just a few days ago.
That was 11.7.10 as mentioned in my post which was released in Sept 2023. Nothing wrong with keeping your iMac going for a while if you have a good use for it and are comfortable with the OS version you are on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.