Questions regarding the EyeTV 250 Plus??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BeSe7enTeen, Dec 14, 2009.

1. BeSe7enTeen macrumors newbie

im planning on getting this thing for xmas and was wondering about a few features on this device

my first question is, how is gaming on this device? i know there is a game mode in the software but is there a lag on gameplay at all?
    im planning on connecting my 360 to it and any lag would be an issue.
    also how would a setup work? what do i plug into and where?

i currently play my xbox through a small pc monitor using the vga cable they sell seperatly and output the games audio through garageband via the computers audio input port, and my television is no where near my computer btw

my second is, i know you can hook a tv cable into it, but how would i change the channels? (i live in connecticut btw) it dosent come with a remote right?
    and also will i be able to recieve all the channels i currently recieve on my television?
    i have standard cable like MTV and stuff
    i dont pay for digital boxes or hd channels or anything like that

also, could i record my gameplay on my 360 for like montages and stuff like that at a reasonable quality or even in hd?

hope that wasnt too confusing for you *(i have a 2008 imac)*

an answer by christmas would really help me out

thank you:apple:

2. SachaS macrumors regular

Hey there,

Unfortunately the EyeTV is not suitable for gaming as there is noticeable lag. This is true even with the EyeTv products that claim to be 'lag free'. It uses the USB port to convert the image and display it. The EyeTV doesn't display at 1080p - the highest resolution possible through an Xbox, PS3 or blu-ray player, which really is the minimum one would expect on the 27 inch iMac. Moreover the refresh rate is very low, so you will probably get motion sickness playing a game.

The EyeTV is suitable for watching TV and recording it.

This thread goes into detail about using the 27 inch iMac as a gaming device. We're all currently awaiting a firmware update on the Atlona AT-DP200 (only available in the States through the Apple Store though can be purchased in the UK via other websites) to be able to play games at 1080p with zero lag. Currently the maximum resolution it has been proven to display is 720p.

This adaptor uses the mini display port in to display image. It is roughly £/$150.

Just keep your eye out for any updates to that thread, we might be seeing something very soon hopefully. Atlona are in contact with a member of these forums who posts in that thread (user name RealEvil).

Sacha