Questions selling iPhone/Buying 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oxxy, May 17, 2008.

1. Oxxy macrumors newbie

Alright, I know this topic has come up a lot recently but I still have some questions about selling my current 8Gig iPhone that I bought in mid Janurary, and also about the next gen iPhone.

1. How should I sell my iPhone? Should I use ebay or craigslist or what?

2. Right now, the phone is jailbroken only. Before I sell it, should I restore it to factory settings? or should I restore it then jailbreak AND unlock and sell it like that? How much money should I expect to get for it? Its in almost perfect condition, the only signs of wear are some hairline scratches on the chrome bits. I have an Agent 18 case, and an anti glare protective screen applied.

3. If I take the sim card out and restore it to factory settings, will there be anything connecting me to the phone such as the serial number linked to the credit card used to buy it or something?

4. I can put the sim into my old nokia and change my ATT plan to a simple talk and text plan right? Then when I buy the 3G iPhone I can just turn my data plan back on and pop in the sim card? Will I have to buy a new 2 year contract with the new phone, or can I continue on the one i'm only 5 months into?

5. Ive been reading these forums for some time and it appears to be certain that the next gen iPhone will come out with in the next month or so. But is there any widely accepted date of arrival or is it pretty much anyones guess what date it is released on? I don't want to sell the iPhone then be stuck with my rubbish nokia with a black and white screen for months.

6. I'm only 15 and I don't have a steady flow of incoming cash. I would assume that the new iPhone will be released at the same pricing as the current ones, is this correct? I can't just pull out several hundred dollars extra. Any guesses whether they will lower the pricing of the 8Gig to 300$ and have a 16gig and a 32 gig at 400$ and 500$ respectively? I would like more storage because I hate having to pick an choose what songs i want to leave off.

Thanks in advance for anything you can answer for me!
    Cheers :D

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I was just about to post nearly the same message. I don't have any cash flow and really am on the edge weather or not to sell mine. It's an 8GB and I'm thinking Craigslist, but I can't bring myself to risk it quite yet seeing as the Keynote w/ Steve will be on the 9th of June. <http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/13/steve-jobs-and-apple-executives-to-keynote-wwdc-officially/>
    But I'm so worried that he will announce the new phone and it won't be available for weeks (unlikely) or some little catch - it may not even happen at all... idk
    Any thoughts?, Thanks

3. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

1. Sell it however you feel most comfortable selling it. Ebay will probably be better though.

2. You should wipe clean any traces of yourself before you sell it. You will also get more more money for it if it is unlocked so it something to look into. Prices right now vary. Check ebay to see what used iPhones are going for.

3. If you wipe it clean there will be no record of you and the phone to the new user. They wont be able to steal your identity.

4. You can put your sim card into your old phone, call ATT or go online and change your plan. You WILL most likely have to sign a new 2 year contract with ATT when the new phone is released, assuming you do it the "legit" way.

5. There is no release date, only speculation. Many people say that definitely in June, yet with no official word from Apple no one can be 100% sure of anything.

6. People are saying that ATT is going to offer a subsidized price on the new iPhone most likely in the form of a rebate. So save your pennies. You are very lucky o be 15 and be allowed by your parents to have a mobile phone, yet alone an iPhone.

4. Oxxy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you so much!

Though, if I bought a new contract with the 2.0 phone. Would that me I would pay for early termination of the previous contract?

5. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Are you sure you need to buy the new iPhone? Realize that 3G only pertains to data speed, and isn't available in nearly as many areas as Edge (so may be useless to you). The other rumored big new feature is GPS, is it worth spending a few hundred dollars to have your location more accurate than "within a few miles" at worst?

And realize, everything about the new iPhone is still rumor. It's very possible that Apple announces it next month...for immediate release in Europe and Australia, US release in Winter or something (like last year they announced the iPhone 6 months before release). Wouldn't it suck to sell your phone and not have a replacement for that long?

As for the rumored AT&T subsidy, I read at least one place that had that as being only available to brand new AT&T customers.

6. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

The 3G phone will fall back to EDGE, there's no way in that it isn't an improvement. Considering that you could probably sell your old iPhone for less then it'll cost to buy a new one since ebayers are lemmings, it's worth it.

7. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Uh, yeah it is - if there's no place at all in your area that you get 3G from AT&T (ie, most of the US), having the capability isn't really an improvement. Or even if you do get 3G, but only in places where you get WiFi anyways. Just check out the coverage map (click data, zoom in at least one level) - AT&T only offers 3G service in small pockets spread across the country, mostly in big cities.

Sure, for those with disposable income, it's not a big deal. For someone who has to save and scrimp a lot, you have to really consider if it's worth the risk/cost.

8. Oxxy thread starter macrumors newbie

My itunes library is growing fast and I what I mostly want is more storage space, 16 Gb, 32 Gb would be perfect depending on the price though.
    I do have full 3G coverage as I live in the DWF area. Surfing on edge is almost unbearable other than quick searches ect. So I want the speed 3G offers.
    Thoughs two things really sell it for me, and i'm also sure that apple will throw in many other goodies. I figure I could sell the unlocked/jailbroken phone for close to 100% what I payed for it new. I see dozens of them go for 100$+ what they cost new on ebay. So if i could get the new iPhone for little or no additional cost then why not.

Still, i'm undecided whether or not I will sell. I dont want to wait till the new iPhone comes out to find out that its amazing and that I want it. Because by then, the first gen will be unwanted.

So thanks for the input and keep it comming! :D

9. marksubishi macrumors newbie

1. in terms of selling the phone, put A LOT of consideration into what you're doing. eBay, though a great way to sell something, as soon as you put an iPhone up, and, coming from experience, opens the door to millions of scammers from nigeria. word of advice: if you get a message from someone asking to buy it now and email them from a personal email and not ebay, then DO NOT REPLY.. or you'll get scammed and spammed.

i chose craigslist: local and fast cash.

i've been iPhone-less for almost a month. i'm patiently waiting for iPhone 2, but really, though it may be hard to detach from it, the value will depreciate for the iPhone.. so do act fast. with the expansion of iPhones all over the world, it will be harder to break even with what you paid for it.

2. hackthatphone.com
    read the headliner for this site on "wiping" your iphone. think again
    no matter what you do, it will always be there

that being said. if you got the money, by all means splurge. but, if your only means is the sell the original iphone... imo, sell it to someone you know.