Questions - setting up a software RAID on my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by valdore, Jan 15, 2008.

1. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I have a 2007 model 8-core Mac Pro, which I ordered with one 750 GB hard drive. Now that hard drive has less than 10% free space, and it's time to throw a second drive into my machine.

I am wanting to get a 1TB drive to supplement the original 750GB drive - will I be able to set up a mirrored RAID (RAID 1) when the two drives are of different sizes? Also, when it comes time for a third hard drive (another year maybe), will I be able to incorporate the third drive into the mirrored RAID? Or can it only be done with an even number of drives?

One more thing: are there any other RAID configurations that would be more beneficial than a mirrored RAID? My Mac Pro is a photography computer, and offhand I thought the mirrored raid would be ideal in case of a hard drive failure to save all the photos...

Please advise.

2. Toups macrumors regular

You can setup a mirrored RAID of 2 drives of different size, but you will only be able to RAID to a max of the smaller of the two.

I you plan to use 3 drives, you can use RAID 0 which will stripe the data and make all of the space available or use RAID 5 and have 2x the space of the smallest drive available, the rest will be lost to data parity.

Keep in mind you will still need a drive for the OS, and if that drive fails you could potentially lose ALL of the data on the array.

3. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Thanks for the reply. I thought though that this thread would garner a lot more responses. :eek:

I have another question: Since my one drive is 750 GB, if I buy another 750 GB drive and set up a mirrored RAID, I won't actually gain any more storage capacity at all, will I? Since the one current drive is 90% full, then that would make the 2nd 750 GB drive that full as well wouldn't it? ...so I guess by mathmatics if both had ten percent free space then I actually would have a meager 10 or 20% storage increase for the whole array? (sorry, i'm terrible at math).

4. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

You would still have only 10% free space. But you would have a backup if one of your drives broke.
    If you want to increase capacity don't do RAID 1. Use RAID 0.
    If you want a "up to the last second" backup, use RAID 1.

I have a question though....
    Can the Mac Pro set up an array of hard drives in RAID 0 without purchasing a dedicated RAID card and without suffering a major hit in performance?

5. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

The Mac Pro can run software raids for RAID 0, RAID 1, and a concatenated array (technically not a RAID).

Further questioning from me:

-Is it true that there is no point in having a RAID 1 (mirror) if you have three or more drives? (for some reason I had been under the impression until recently that you could still have a RAID 1 but with multiple drives, AND increased storage capacity.

-Is it possible to have a RAID 0 using different sized drives, or do they all have to be the same too? (I ask because in reading about concatenated arrays, it said it gives an advantage over RAID 0 in that different sized drives could be used...)

6. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

I think that's called RAID 0+1 or something....

You can but the max size will be limited to the smallest hard drive*2. e.g.
    HDD 1 = 100GB
    HDD 2 = 100GB
    Total size when placed in RAID 0 = 200GB.

HDD 1 = 100GB
    HDD 2 = 175GB
    Total size when placed in RAID 0 = 200GB. So you would be wasting 75GB.

Wikipedia RAID page.

7. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

If I get a hardware RAID controller, set up a RAID 0+1, with four drives at 750GB each, how much storage total will I have?

8. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

3 terabytes of total storage, but 1.5 terabytes of storage you can use. The other 1.5 will be the backup.

So you'll have...
    750 GB
    ---------)-- 1.5 TB of space to put whatever on. RAID 0.
    750 GB

You'll also have...
    750 GB
    ---------)-- 1.5 TB of space that will be a constant backup of the two above drives. RAID 1
    750 GB

9. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Thanks for the quick reply.

1.5 Tb... that sucks. I'm finding RAID not very accommodating; with no mirroring I statistically increase my chances of losing everything if one hard drive fails, or mirroring and not having nearly enough long term storage for the life of my Mac Pro. :mad:

10. kakace macrumors newbie

11. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Ah I forgot momentarily about that.

I can't find any good info on the net - if I have three drives at 750 GB each, how much storage will a RAID 5 give me? There is redundancy with RAID 5, isn't there?

12. mrcandy macrumors regular

A RAID 5 provides redundancy spread across all drives in the array. The array will continue to work with no loss of data with one drive failed. A minimum of three drives is required, each of the same size. Available capacity is size of one drive multiplied by (number of drives in array - 1).

If you put 3 x 750GB drives into a RAID 5 you will have 2 x 750Gb = 1.5 TB available capacity with redundancy for a single drive failure.

Note that RAID 5 requires a hardware RAID card, there is no software support for RAID 5 in OSX.