Questions/suggestions about MBP before potential purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by berdmehn, Feb 22, 2012.

1. berdmehn macrumors newbie

My old laptop died on me so I'm in need of a new laptop and I'm considering getting a 13 inch MBP (Within my budget).

Thing is, I've been a Windows user for years, and the only things attractive about the MPB is as follows:

1) Well built/reliable
    2) I will be doing mobile development for my new job later in the year (August) and I might be touching on iOS, so I'll need a mac for that
    3) I guess from past experiences, development on a mac is "smoother" - Did android development, don't need to install additional drivers etc.
    4) I like to make music (Record tracks/produce) - not a pro by any means, but I guess macs are better in this aspect even though Windows has been good (FL Studio/Adobe Audition)

Now what's holding me back:
    1) I really don't like OSX based on my experiences at work, I still prefer/plan to use Windows (most of the time)
    2) Could get better specs with a lower price for a Windows Laptop

Now, is it even worth getting a MBP when I'm going to be (mainly) using Windows on it? Will it be annoying? Of course when it comes to work/development I'll be using OSX. What other advantages/disadvantages could you guys think of?

Also, would it be troublesome to access OSX files on Windows and vice versa? I mean like, would I have to completely separate my files between OSX/Windows? I know it depends on how you format partitions, but if I'm to use Windows a lot, does it mean I have to dedicate a large portion of the 500GB as NTSF?

I guess the 15 inch has better specs, but it's too expensive for me at the moment and I have an external monitor so that should be fine.

And I'm also stuck on the whole "buy now vs wait" dilemma, but I'll likely still buy now if I decide on a MBP.

Other laptops I'm considering are:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393814,00.asp?tab=Specs

and

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/ace...g/4505-3121_7-34844852.html?tag=rvwBody;page1

Thanks a lot, and I look forward to the feedback!

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I don't understand your dilemma. You say you need a Mac for work since you might be developing iOS Apps. What are your options? Buy a windows laptop and then ask for your employer to provide a mac?

The 500 GB HDD should have enough space for a big NTFS and a big OSX partition. You can access files from either side, but I would recommend not writing to the "other" partition.

3. berdmehn thread starter macrumors newbie

There are macs at work, it's more of a convenient factor if I choose to work from home I'll have access. I guess my biggest question is whether it's worth it if I'm running Windows mostly, and whether running Windows on a mac is troublesome

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I've looked at reviews for a number of premium windows notebooks in the last few month, just out of interest how they were performing. Usually they had either a bad screen, a bad keyboard or a bad touchpad. Macs have a great touchpad, a decent keyboard and very good screens.
    Some days I spend more than 10 hours interacting with my laptop - I couldn't tolerate if one of these three interfaces was bad.

I'm not happy with the touchpad drivers that apple provides for windows. They are much worse than the ones on the OSX side. However this is using an older bootcamp version on a 2008 machine... things might have changed in the meantime.

Other than that, Windows runs perfect on a Mac. It's just a piece of hardware, and since windows runs on almost everything that has a x86 CPU, there is no problem.

5. takeshi74, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Worth is always highly subjective, regardless of topic and no one can tell you if you'll find it worth it or not. My MBP is the best Windows laptop I've owned but I prefer running OSX on it so I'm not sure my opinion will be relevant to you. What would make it or break it for you? Never assume that your preferences are universal. You have to tell us what your preference/priorities are and how each of them weighs in on your decision making. Does your list of cons outweigh the list of pros for you?

Also highly subjective.

Nope. Using latest bootcamp on early 2011 and the trackpad still sucks in Win7.

6. berdmehn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for input!

----------

Thanks for input!

Can you elaborate more on 'trackpad still sucks in Win7'? What in particular?

Another quick question,
    Right now I have an external I use with my old Windows Laptop, after I get Windows up and running on bootcamp, can I simply plug it in and access the files or would I need to do more? (Assuming the partition is NTSF, will it be able to plug and play recognize it?)

I'm pretty set on getting one,
    except I am a bit disappointed in the screen resolution...
    Seems a little blurry/a step back from my old laptop (which had 1366x768) I'm not sure if it'll bother me once I use it for a while. That's really the only thing I'm concerned with. Although I probably won't wait till the 2012 comes out, I'm going to be kicking myself if the 2012 13'' has a beautiful display :(

7. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

You can run Windows exclusively on a Mac and occasionally boot into OS X if you like, or vice versa. The trackpad and drivers in the latest MBP with the latest Boot Camp works just fine, though there are a few differing keyboard shortcuts that I can't think of off the top of my head, but you'll eventually get used to them (i.e. the command key works in place of the Windows key, etc.). Windows 7 64-bit works fantastically on a MBP and honestly you couldn't tell the difference except that you're on a well built aluminum machine. I think it'll suit you fine. The backlit keys are also a nice touch. If you want to wait for the 2012 refresh, I'd go ahead and do that. I have no idea what they're going to be doing with those.

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Im not really sure from all this why you want a Mac. Most people buy them because they are great machines from every standpoint, usability, design, and of course the killer OS. But from what you said you don't like OSX, thats one of the huge reason why people pay the premium for a Mac. But if you don't like OSX and primarily want to run windows then I don't understand why you would want to pay the Apple tax. Especially if you have access to Macs at work, its a hefty tax to pay just to work at him especially if your on a budget like you said, further if you are doing work at home then you should talk to your employer about providing you with the tools to work at home. There are some really nice windows machines out there that would do what you want and serve you well for less than what a Macbook will cost you, i.e. a nice Sony Vaio, they may come with excessive bloatware but if you do a nice clean install of windows 7 then you will still have a damn fine machine.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I don't buy Macs for the hardware, I can get that anywhere. The beauty of Macs is how the hardware and software are built for each other. If you don't like OS X and just want to load windows on it, it's like buying a PS3 and only playing Nintendo emulators on it. It's not a bad thing, people like different things, but don't try and convince yourself to buy something if you don't really want it.

10. berdmehn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the feedback guy.

I'll give OSX another try.

Bought it :)

11. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

This exact thing happened to me. I'm brand new to mac and coming over from pc was the weirdest most confusing thing i've ever experienced.

Having had a pc all my life, i thought i'd give mac a try. I got a macbook pro about 3 weeks ago and loved the build quality, but all these little things in osx annoyed me. Where are the scrollbars? Do i have to use gestures all the time? iMovie and the OS aren't compatible with mts files from my camcorder? I have to use iPhoto? Come on now!

So after not too long of a honeymoon period, i returned the mac and customized/bought a top of the line hp laptop. This thing had everything. 1080p anti-glare screen, blu-ray drive, quad core processor. Everything. Yet? The touchpad sucked. Got unresponsive and the "gestures" i was having a hard time getting used to all of a sudden were something i missed. Security update after security update. Then lag. Lag was just confusing. Spec wise, i had a monster of a computer but the computer was unresponsive at times and slow to do things. Everything was disjointed and everything didn't feel like it went together. I...

Returned my customized top of the line laptop and bought a macbook pro. AGAIN. I realized all of the issues i had with it were a mix of culture shock and just not wanting to change. There are little things in osx that you can't simply explain to someone curious about switching. You have to use it on a daily basis and see what a headache mac ISN'T.

I can't imagine not having a mac now. Really. And that's something just a couple weeks ago that would've been a totally different answer had you asked me. It takes really integrating it into your life to see how apple got it so right.

I know you really like windows and hell, i did too. But there are a lot of great things about osx that make the macbook more than just a laptop with great build quality

12. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

i don't get it. you are asking people to offer input on YOUR usage habits?:confused:

what do YOU think you need?

----------

is this the part when someone blurts out: its more than just a machine. its a lifestyle!! rofl.

13. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

You just did. Now this thread is finally complete

14. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

seems we got a joker over here

15. gwar28 macrumors newbie

I suspect that over time you will find yourself not using the windows OS and the Mac OS a lot more. I was a Mac hater about 5 years ago and now can't use a windows machine to save my life.