iPad Questions to those that use NO CASE on iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aluminum213, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

When you take it out of your home and you put it in a bag or what ever you carry it in, have you ever scratched it?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

No. I have a case just for the iPad only. I wouldn't set it next to keys or other metal.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

most careless peeps put it in a sleeve and then a bag.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I've carried a Mini for over a year and my husband takes his Air everywhere. Neither has any significant or obvious scratches. He just throws his into a bag or pocket. I've used a padded sleeve at times in my purse, but I've also just put it in there with the smart cover facing anything else that might touch it. We take reasonable care with all our devices, but we don't really baby them much.

That said, if you don't use a sleeve or otherwise isolate it from other things in a bag or backpack, you pretty much need to assume that it's a lot more likely to get scratched up.

5. bushido Suspended

bushido

i put it in a hershel iPad sleeve when i leave the house and put it in the bag. its simply too thin to just throw it in the bag like that imo

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

Put mine in a rickshaw bags padded sleeve. also serves as a cushion to set the ipad on during use. no scratches ever.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

I only protect the front. The Smart Cover works perfectly for me.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I take my Air 2 out in the field everyday. After trying several things I picked the smart case as it is the least amount of bulk added to the device and yet protects it from scratches.

I use my Air 2 all day both in the vehical and out walking projects. Could not live without cellular!:apple:

9. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

That very pretty edge chamfer is as vulnerable and delicate as anything I have ever seen on a consumer product at this price point. I wouldn't dream of using mine regularly without a case.

It's a design feature that is certainly beautiful, but the vulnerability to damage is too extreme for caseless use- defeating the purpose of the feature in the first place.

Even if the body were stainless steel instead of aluminum, it would be unacceptable. I would be a lot happier with something that isn't quite so delicate.

I feel it reflects a certain disconnection how these items are used in the real world, on the part of the very talented Mr. Ive and his team.

Love their vision, not always wild about the execution. (Sharp edges on the rMBP palm rest come to mind, too).

10. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

I actually made a small dent in my previous MacBook with my iPad, but the iPad was unscathed. :rolleyes:

11. mrex, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Questions to those that use NO CASE on iPad Air 2

Only using a front cover.. I mostly carry my Note tablet in my bag. If i take this with me, i have a small, 10inches Golla Genmob bag for tablets and i can put that small bag to my bag with other stuff... Apples front cover is so loose, so you can only use it at home to protect your tablet.

12. savagewatts macrumors regular

13. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

It takes very little to get a ding on the back of these-the Smart Case is optimal, but the Smart Cover is also very slick if you are concerned about bulk. Going naked just seems risky. These aren't sturdy devices, just really thin and sexy.