Questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HIMAN1998, Sep 17, 2013.

1. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I have a question about getting an iMac. I want to get an iMac since I am about to get a desk that has room for it, but I don't know what older model I should get. I'm looking at the older aluminum ones, with the Core 2 Duos inside, but can they run Mountain Lion, if not Mavericks? I wouldn't be getting the fastest model, just getting it to have something to use at home instead of my MacBook Late '08. I'm looking at something with similar specs (Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 4GB RAM, etc.). Do those models have a Mini DisplayPort, or will I need a micro DVI adapter to hook up my second monitor? And finally, would a Mac Mini be something else I could look at as an alternative, something with a Core 2 Duo?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Apple published the system requirements for Mountain Lion, the same should hold true for Mavericks. At a minimum have 4GB RAM, however the more you can install the better. The system requirements are:

OS X Mountain Lion system requirements
    To install Mountain Lion, you need one of these Macs:

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    Xserve (Early 2009)

Your Mac needs:

OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
    2 GB or more of memory
    8 GB or more of available space

By the way this took less than 10 seconds to find on Google!

As for the mini-display port or mini dvi connection, again check Apple's web site, look at:

http://support.apple.com/specs/

3. HIMAN1998 thread starter macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

Thanks for the response, but I've decided that I'm gonna go for a PC for my workstation and Mac for portable. Already spent $70 to up the RAM in this MacBook. I'm a poor high school student so every penny counts. I'm trying to trade my Xbox and dead desktop for anything really. I would go with Vista if I needed to, since I have a 1TB desktop HDD with 7 already on it.