Queueing for iPad in NYC

Discussion in 'iPad' started by krisppp, Mar 9, 2012.

1. krisppp macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm from the UK but I'm headed to NYC for the first time (EXCITED!!!!) next Thursday 15th for a holiday with my other half.

Somehow, it always ends up that I'm out of the country for Apple launches :( But I was thinking about queueing for the iPad at Grand Central or on 5th.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever done this, what it's like, how early you have to get there etc. And also how you deal with things like needing a drink or needing the bathroom?

I don't get in until quite late on the Thursday, and something tells me there might already be a massive queue! But it would be good to have your thoughts!

Cheers,

Chris

2. SunnyDay24 macrumors newbie

So I live here, and I've never actually queued for an Apple product, so sorry I'm not much help :( But be prepared for pushy, loud, rude, fast-talking people. We don't really mean to be mean here in the city. We just kind of operate on different wavelengths from the rest of the world.

But it's funny, I'm heading off to the UK for the first time next Friday! I'm hoping to get my iPad before I leave (I need to be at the airport by 7:30 PM, and I've pre-ordered for in-store pick up) so fingers crossed!

I'm so excited for both, going to the UK and the iPad. I can't wait!

3. krisppp thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure you guys aren't rude! I'm gutted - I didn't realise you could pre order for instore pickup :(

Guess I'll just be another face in the queue then :(

----------

Have an amazing time in the UK btw!

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm an ex-pat native New Yorker....It'll be loud, pushy, with that unique NYC humour....A unique experience for you...Give my regards to the place! Am hoping to return there to live soon :)

5. krisppp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! I'm getting the impression that I might be a little quieter than the average New Yorker then!

Any ideas which store might be better to queue at and when I should head down there? Any thoughts on staying awake, bathroom and all the practicalities lol?

Or will people take pity on me and let me fall asleep :D ?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This is the first product launch at Grand Central, so who knows what it will be like, but my guess is it will be an absolute madhouse, especially if the launch coincides with rush hour traffic. So my advice would be to go to the 5th Ave store. I lined up there last year for iPad 2. We took folding chairs and our iPad 1s, and got there around 1 or 2 for a 5 o'clock launch. If memory serves, we were around #250 in line when they took a head count. I think you could have got there at around 3 and still have had a decent place in line. In any case, we had a perfectly comfortable time, sitting in our chairs reading our iPads until the line started moving. I think we bought coffee before getting in line, but if we had needed more drinks, we could leave to get some. Single people would just ask a neighbor to hold their place, and nobody would mind. There was quie a bit of movement in and out of line as people ferried drinks and food. All in all, it was a fun experience, and one I wouldn't mind repeating again. But since we have preorders this year, we ordered ours for pickup at Grand Central, because despite the mad traffic, it is right by our office. So we'll see how things go there, and I'm sure me and other people who are there will report back on the experience. Good luck with getting your iPad!

Edit: oh, about bathrooms, there's a big department store on the next block. I'm sure you can run in there to use their bathrooms

7. SunnyDay24 macrumors newbie

Well, there are bunches of rude people here, but they're everywhere... so maybe it's just a global thing ;) Also be prepared for people falling in love with your accent and making you speak just to hear you speak.

The Apple Store on 5th Ave is open 24/7, so do you think we could possibly get it at like midnight? It'd really be Thursday night than - I highly doubt it, but a girl can dream! I mean, it'd technically be the 16... right?

And yes, thank you, I'll be sure to do my best to enjoy myself! Have fun here in the Big Apple. Despite all it's flaws, it's a wonderful place to live and visit. Always something to do. It's my birthplace and where I grew up, so I hope you grow to love it here as well!

Edit: And about bathrooms and staying awake: It really shouldn't be that hard. There's always a Starbucks near by if you need the coffee, and food is everywhere. And people here are always up for a conversation (as long as you ask the nice looking ones! xD)

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:D:D We don't talk, we shout...It's the traffic! :)

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, you know that wouldn't happen. Apple would say something like all stores will start selling iPads at whatever o'clock local time, and that's when 5th Ave will start selling them. Also, despite being open 24/7, 5th Ave does shut down for a few hours before big product launches, to clear out the store and give the staff time to reorganize the store displays. Yes, I've been through too many product launches at that store, lol.

10. krisppp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone's replies :D I wasn't expecting so many so quickly!

Sounds like it could be a really fun night if I can stay awake! And maybe people would be kind enough to tell me a little about what I should try to see around the city when we're in line :)

Any other tips for a first time queuer? (I don't have an iPad already to bring to the launch :( )

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. SunnyDay24 macrumors newbie

That certainly makes a lot of sense. Dang it, I had a tiny hope (though I wasn't really expecting it xD) Then I guess I go when I receive my email saying my pick up is ready. If it's after 5 I'm going to cry.

Also, in NY a lot of us wait "on" line as well.

13. rvernier macrumors newbie

rvernier

You should try and preorder , so you don't have to wait in any ques.

14. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

it is to late for preordering for launch day now.