Queuing already begun at Sydney Apple store

Discussion in 'iPad' started by itouch rulz, May 26, 2010.

1. itouch rulz macrumors regular

I just went past the Sydney (George St) Apple store on my way to work. There are 2 guys on folding camp chairs queuing for the iPad launch tomorrow. I went past at 8:30 am (27 May) - launch is tomorrow at 8 am so presumably they will have been there for 24 hours+ once doors open (I hope they remembered their credit cards).

Winners or losers? - you decide

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

[​IMG]
    The indian dude is dressed pretty well (although not sure about the pair of thongs for this weather) but the other guy really needs to lose the cap and the fur-hooded jacket. And perhaps some better shoes in a chocolate brown or black.

That's it for my fashion advice.

3. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

Preorder people, then you don't have to sit out in the cold like a homeless person.

4. LondonGooner macrumors 6502

:D

5. Streethawk macrumors 6502

Wont that guy in the sandals get cold feet overnight? Cant be that warm looking at how the other guy is dressed!

6. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry we don't have any free sale iPads, pre-orders only.

If only they said that when they open :D

7. itouch rulz thread starter macrumors regular

This is Sydney - it's only expected to get down to 12 C tonight (54 F (for you folk in North America)). Hardly frostbite conditions.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, but, this is Sydney. 12°C for a Sydneysider is bitterly, bitterly cold....

Sooks.

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

He's gunn a be too busy running around to cure his numb behind since he has that horrid chair to sit on!

I'd have more clothes on than either of them! :D

10. itouch rulz thread starter macrumors regular

You're probably right. He does have a small backpack with him. At lunch time I could go and ask him if he has some slippers in his backpack and report back?

11. Macjames macrumors 6502a

How about finding out what those drip marks look like by his feet? Has he been there that long :D

12. Streethawk macrumors 6502

Ah, that's what they are, i thought they were coins, and maybe somebody had mistook him for homeless :p

13. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Embarassing. If you can be bothered to camp out overnight surely you could've just preordered on the first day instead.

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

2 guys, 3 chairs?

Besides, people who pre-ordered lined up early as well as people who didn't pre order. Maybe they have pre ordered, and just want to be able to say they are the first ones to get one.

Update: So the 3rd chair is for a bodyguard? LOL

15. isplat macrumors newbie

Stooges?

I pre-ordered a 64Gb 3G. Now i have my doubts. Any product that has fanbois like this isn’t something i want to be seen using.... :)

I’m hoping its typical Apple marketing hype – a couple of stooges to start a queue and get onto the 6pm news. That would explain the bodyguard (even stooges are covered by OH&S rules...)

The alternative, that these are genuine buyers and the “bodyguard” is his daddy, is just too dreadful to contemplate.

Do I need to buy a hoodie and sneakers to go with this tablet?

16. mixvio macrumors 6502

I'm going there tomorrow to try and get one at launch. I got scared with the thread title that I had grossly underestimated the launch excitement until I saw the photo. Whew.

Hopefully it stays just those two dudes.

I'm already having frightened flashbacks to when I got the 3G in NYC a week and a half after it launched and I was still stuck waiting in line for four hours.

I will probably take a walk down there (I live five minutes away) before I go to bed. I'm aiming to be out front by 7, hoping that the line won't be too serious. I'll report back!

17. obamtl macrumors regular

I think the point of 'queuing' is the buying experience. It's like a party. I queued to buy Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and attend a launch party, despite having already ordered it online (funny though) I'd almost finished reading it before the ordered copy arrived that morning on release day. Queue 24 hours though? Well, that's extreme. I will be on Oxford Circus later tonight, with MY iPad, maybe rub it in a bit for those on the queue. Hope they don't attack me. :p

18. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I think he's been iChoking his iChicken.:eek: The person taking the picture was sitting in the third chair. I wonder what he is wearing, or not wearing. :D

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Glad that first guy got in for his personal purchase (+1 for resale specualtion). The second in queue is a shrill for a middle-of-the road commercial radio show. Glad they got bumped and lost out a bit of free publicity.

20. stu212 macrumors member

I don't think you can preorder them to collect. At least you can't in the UK.

21. mixvio macrumors 6502

Nope, not an option here either.

22. masa. macrumors member

Yep, saw them from a bus today. I hope they enjoy the camping in CBD.

23. itouch rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Big queue this morning at 8:30 am but I went back at 11 and queue was down to 1/2 hour so I have my new iPad.

Still have plenty of stock other than 16 gig 3G version. Also heard that re-sellers have them. No queue at David Jones Sydney store.